Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.

Is it possible to add my msn/skype contacts on iChat?

·
Registered
867 Posts
iChat only handles one type of client, as far as I know. If you want to handle multiple clients (msn, yahoo, etc.) from one window, try Adium (Adium - Download). I have used it for several years, under 10.3 and now under 10.4, and am very happy to be able to have all my contacts "under one roof".

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want to handle multiple clients (msn, yahoo, etc.) from one window, try Adium (Adium - Download).
I have adium and I use it for my msn, facebook & gmail.... but the reason why I was asking about iChat is because I really dig the webcam feature, for some reason I find iChat handles webcam much better then skype, no?

-Joey

·
Registered
867 Posts
I don't do webcam, so I can't answer that question, sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
~

there's a new skype beta that's supposed to offer video performance comparable to ichat... i haven't compared them directly but in using the skype a couple times it seemed ok to me, and it's cross-platform compatible (there's a new win-dos beta too)

·
ehMac Genius
522 Posts
Well, iChat supports Jabber, and Jabber supports MSN, so what you can do is Download a software called Psi and configure it for a Jabber account (with a MSN Transport) and go from there

If I remember I'll post exact way to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
Video has been supported in Skype for OS X for a while now.. it's not even beta anymore. The quality is probably better than iChat most of the time. And, it's cross platform. :)

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
IME, the quality of the PICTURE in a skype chat is nowhere near as good as iChat, but the CONSISTENCY of being able to DO a video chat (particularly with PC people) in Skype is *much* better than iChat.

But the answer to your original question is "no." Even if you try to set up the Jabber thing MacGenius suggested, you won't have video (or audio) chat, it's hard to set up, and doesn't really work well.

Maybe someday Apple will release a PC version of iChat that can cope with MSN, but till then you are stuck with Teh Suck.

·
Video Media Mogul
448 Posts
I"m surprised nobody has mentioned aMSN. i've been using it for two and a half years with great success. It works fairly well with the webcam, supports multiple platforms and chat programs and is HIGHLY customizable with tons of skins. The only thing you can't do is voice chat.

Check it out.

Cheers.
- Adam

·
Registered
663 Posts
You can use MSN in iChat by tunneling through a jabber server but you can't add Skype contacts. If you add MSN contacts you won't be able to use video or audio though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts