Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried out the iChat software with the built-in microphone on the PowerBook...totally cool! I've never had the opportunity to experience this type of communication and was thoroughly impressed...giddy comes to mind (kind of strange as I'm sitting next to a phone, but...). I also had the opportunity to use an iSight today - a great little unit. Here's the question: according to Apple's tech notes regarding iChat, AV communication (with iChat and iSight) can only occur between two Macs (configured with iChat). Is there a software available that will allow an iSight equipped PowerBook to communicate with a Windows platform? I originally thought that an iChat/iSight Mac could communicate with an AOL Aim/PC webcam equipped PC...Any ideas, I have to give a presentation to colleagues in Japan and I'd like to use this technology if possible.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There was a similar post on AV chat between Macs and PCs in here not too long ago.. I also took intrest in finding a cross platform AV supported chat program, as I am away from home and hope to see my fam once and a while. And it seems as far as I found and as far as the post went, Yahoo messanger seemed to be the only option. However there maybe another and I don't know how isight will work. But Yahoo Messanger supports AV betweent Macs and PC's hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews about Yahoo messenger and iChat A/V but it's worth a try.

My wish list for Apple is to make iChat available for PC's just like iTunes.

·
Registered
728 Posts
no will not work.
isight is a mac exclusive, the function has to be apple2apple.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Will iChat communicate with a Windows computer if you're just using audio? For example, what if the Windows person had an AIM screen name?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Negative. Any AV communication via iChat must occur between two iChat equipped Macs. Text based communication can occur between an iChat account (using a free .Mac email account or AIM account) and an AIM account. I tried this yesterday using a PC with AOL instant messenger (AIM account) and a Mac using iChat (with a .Mac account - the email component is available free of charge).

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
actually a mac can interact with a PC apparently. I was at the apple store today and the salesman mentioned to me that it was possible...and I didn't even ask him. You have to use a particular program though. Sorry...I can't remember the name?! maybe type something into versiontracker to see if it comes up?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just ordered myself 2 iSights, out of curiousity is it possible for me to use one with a PC? I highly doubt it, I intend to use it with my Mac anyways im just kinda curious..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hey guys. You can use a program called OhPhoneX on the Mac from the XMeeting project. OhPhoneX is a video/audio application that uses widely-used codecs. It is able to connect to Windows Netmeeting client pretty well. The only thing is that there is some crappyness of quality, but other than that, it is a really good app... you just have to find the best setup with codecs and shit like that.

Here is a link: http://xmeeting.sourceforge.net/

Hope that helps everyone!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
There is a cross platform video chat client called ispq video chat. Not sure if it does audio, but I do now that it comes with many FireWire webcams and that it is for-pay.

--PB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts