Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a webcam compatible (particlulary the ibot pro) program alternative to ichat AV? I really don't want to pay for a .mac account and AOL gives me nasua. Most of my friends are on PCs too, so I'm looking for a software platoform that will allow me to hook up with them.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The only iChat alternative I know of is Adium, but I'm not sure if it supports web cameras.

I use a .Mac username for my iChat, but I don't pay. If you make a trial .Mac account, you can continue to use that .Mac address in your iChat even after your .Mac has expired.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting...that's good to know, thanks.

Can you hook up to Yahoo IM or ICQ, or only other .mac users and AOL?

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I use Proteus which allows you to conenct to AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo.
Unfortunatly, it does not currently have support for WebCam's, but give it some time!

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I just bought a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 (USB webcam) because it supports OS X. (Costco Mississauga $109.99)

I need to be able to videoconference with my parents and in-laws in Vancouver because of my twin girls. They are PC users. I plan to get them each a Quickcam Messenger (cheaper USB version with no mac support - Costco $99.99/pair)

I haven't opened the package yet but it says it supports Yahoo! Messenger.

If anyone chats with PC users (with video) I'd like to know more.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If i'm not mistaken Yahoo messanger supports webcam capability on both pc and macs... atleast thats what the features say.. i'm gonna try it out later tonight and report if it works or not

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I am anxious to hear how it works out. I'm keeping the package unopened until you tell us how well it works.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I should be trying it out later tonight. If everything goes well. however just to let you know, I don't have my web cam yet but I will be watching other people. I'm pretty sure if you can recive it you ccan send it. None the less I'll let you know how the recieving end goes, if it all.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
There's dedicated OS 8-9 and OS X software for Yahoo Messenger and there's even a one-to-one high-res option called Super Webcam (sorta like Quicktime broadcaster).

http://messenger.yahoo.com/messenger/download/mac.html

Super Webcam requirements
----------------------------------------------------
Broadcasting with Super Webcam requires a Quicktime-supported video input device, such as a video capture card, a USB or Firewire webcam, or a Digital Video (DV) source. Please make sure you have installed the driver software that came with your video input device before using Super Webcam in Yahoo! Messenger.

If you have a USB or non-DV Firewire camera, but the manufacturer of your camera does not provide support for Mac OS X, the following third party drivers may be of help:

For USB Cameras

* macam - http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/
* USB Webcam - http://www.ioxperts.com/usbwebcam.html
For Firewire Cameras

* dcam - http://www.ioxperts.com/dcam.html
Yahoo! recommends using Mac OS X (10.1.3) or later with these third party drivers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
no, no web cam on msn... currently the PC version of MSN is on 6 point something and supports webcams while the Mac version is on 3.5 or something...
but as i found out tonight yahoo messanger supports web cam for both platforms.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Alright, I know I'm a bit late with my verdict on yahoo but it works! Again I don't have a web cam , but iwas chatting with some one witha a pc webcam with out any problems and it does have the option for me to display mine if i had it. So if your looking for webcam support try it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Anyone willing to spend a few minutes testing out Yahoo with a Mac.. and it would be great to test with a PC.. lots of folks want to know what will work with the iSight..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
So, since iChat AV doesn't offer interoperability with PC-based webcam chats, it seems Yahoo! Messenger is the way to go.

I'm really happy that Yahoo! openly develop their chat software for Macs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
yeah i'm not to fond of the brushed metal look. I DL white out but i don't see where i can restore it back to normal like it says it can.. am i missing something? I don't wanan go ahead with it unless i'm sure i can switch back just in case

·
Registered
809 Posts
gmark, whats your yahoo ID?
I have a Quickcam 4000 on a mac but could not get audio when trying with PC friends. email me if you like...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been using ivisit ivisit to connect. It has support for classic, x and windows... It seems to work, but I did have trouble connecting to a friend on a pc. there were some audio issues.

Thanks for the tip on yahoo.. I will check that out

1 - 20 of 22 Posts