Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The folks who proposed the 'iBox' concept Mac are now actually selling products. They're offering a 'white box' kit designed to help people build their own expandable 'headless' desktop Macs.

Their "CoreKits" - which start at $379, are not complete Macs, but rather Mac-ready 'white boxes' -- an Apple motherboard, slots and cables designed to be expanded by adding your own G4 processor, RAM, etc.

The company also sells a complete 'white box' Mac system for US $699. The specs are:
- G4 350, 400 or 450Mhz (fastest in stock) 1MB cache*
- 256 MB Memory
- 32x CD-Rom
- 20GB Hard drive
- ATI Rage 128 Pro DVI and VGA AGP Video Card
- 2 Firewire, 2 USB Ports
- 10/10/1000 Ethernet, Audio in/out
- front ports: Firewire, 2xUSB and Audio OUT

You 'just' add keyboard, mouse, OS and monitor.
ATA, Power Cable and Fans/Heatsink are included.

The core idea is to build a desktop Mac that costs less than a standard desktop Mac and is expandable. Although I see merit in the concept, I think the price needs to be a LOT lower to make this worthwhile. The eMac offers a LOT more value for just US$100 more, and I doubt this is what 'low end Mac' enthusiasts have been waiting for.

But what do you think?

The site is here:
http://www.2khappyware.com/

SMc

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Actually, I think the CoreKits appeal to the tinkerers, those people that just like to tinker with things and create their own computers, more than the people who want a low-end Mac. The iBox, if it every gets created, will appeal more to the low-end Mac users who want exxpandability.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think these boxes are a great deal for someone that wants to install a distro of DARWIN, or Mac OS X Server. Since the overhead is low, there is no need to have a tricked out machine just to server eMail, WebSites, and WebDAV.

To me, this little machine will allow anyone looking to run software or services that are needed by the general public in a stable way. The Xserves are overkill just to run a web server and nothing else. To saturate even the onboard 10/100 Nic card would be hard and with these little boxes you could offer cheap services such as IP failover and Netinfo Parent/child backup servers as well.

Although for someone looking for the latest in number crunching or performance, these puppies are far from the latest and greatest and will obviously not stand up to the newer applications and systems as they come out. However they do seem upgradeable to a point so there may be hope for them yet.

These machines might also appeal to people like macdoc who build custom tricked out machines for people in business.

my thoughts!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts