Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I am new here, as well to the Mac world.
I want to replace my computer in my room because I am running out of space, and I was going to get a PC notebook anyways, so I decided upon a iBook.
But it seems pretty outdated already, and I wonder how long it will be until it's outdated.
I have thought of a PowerBook, but it's too expensive, and has many things I don't need (SuperDrive for example).
I use my computer for word processing, surfing the Internet, and listening to music. As you can see, I don't need a super fast Mac, but I don't want anything very outdated, or is just about to be replaced (by a faster model).

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
1x
everything is outdated 6 months before you buy it and it is always going to be replaced by a faster better model.
Bought my G3 tower and 3 weeks later they released a G4 tower, such is life.
But for what you want to do with it, the iBook should last you a couple years

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I think the 800mhz iBook should serve your needs very well for a few years
If you check the speed tests comparing the various machines, the iBook now performs pretty well, due to new Radeon 7500 graphics, 512 k l2 cache at full speed, the hard disk and combo drive are basically the same speed as other macs.
For the tasks you mention I cant imagine being unhappy with this unit.
The G4 systems can give better performance in iMovie, compressing , encoding etc.but you can still do those tasks with the iBooks pretty well.
Ask some of the others here who have iBooks if they are happy campers.
The iBooks wont be speedbumped again until about April or May.

Dont get hung up on megahertz.
Remember everything is eventually outdated, but used Mac portables are pretty hot resale items even 4 years later if you feel like upgrading.
Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay.
Thanks for all the info.
I am currently running a 667 MHz PC, with 128MB, so whatever I get will be a upgrade.
I will probably go ahead and get the iBook, but I have another question.
I have another PC (my parents), that has the Internet.
Is there anyway I can network both so that both the PC and the iBook will get Internet?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
1x wrote:
"Is there anyway I can network both so that both the PC and the iBook will get Internet?"

Yup. You can set up a network between the two computers and have your parents' PC share the internet connection with your iBook. You might need a bit of extra hardware to do this, though (especially if you want to set up a wireless network).

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have an iBook and am very happy with it. As for networking, buy a router and you can share the network very easily.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
i am also in the same position as 1x
and i have a couple of questions that may be relevant. say i get the most basic ibook with default options.

can you add an external combo drive later to an ibook?

can you upgrade the ram and HD later?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jonmon:
i am also in the same position as 1x
and i have a couple of questions that may be relevant. say i get the most basic ibook with default options.

can you add an external combo drive later to an ibook?

can you upgrade the ram and HD later?

thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and yes and yes.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i also have an ibook and i love it to death.

anyway, about the networking between a pc and mac for the internet: easy. all i did was buy an ethernet cable splitter and some more ethernet cable and i was set.

i have the combo-drive 'book running at 600 mhz and with 256 megs. i use it for editing movies, graphic design work, recording audio, listening to music, etc. and it's no slouch.

get an ibook! they're fun.

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hello 1x

As far as networking PC's and Mac, as long as you are using Jag it will work fine. and for sharing the net I would buy a router. I have a Asante 3400 it cost about $100 after rebate add tax + shipping. I live in a basement sweet and the we share the we with the people upstairs and they have a PC.

The Asante 3400 is the best router I have seen for the buck.

·
Registered
433 Posts
jag on my ibook at first was slow, but with 10.2.3, it's pretty good. (on my 600 mhz G3) some might even say "zippy".

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would not dare run OS X with out 512. But I am a heavy user. The 768 in my G4 is lacking. I want to add another 512.

The more RAM you have the better and faster things run. Ram is CHEAP. Save your self the time and the headaches.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
dude, I say max out. Ram will change so much - esp in X. Do yourself that favor.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

so it would be wise to upgrade to 256mb of ram? i heard 128 is the minimum for even the os and so i would guess things would not go as smoothly<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
91 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:
No you cannot add an external combo drive.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not? It has FireWire...

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by emceepj:
i have the combo-drive 'book running at 600 mhz and with 256 megs. i use it for editing movies, graphic design work, recording audio, listening to music, etc. and it's no slouch.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so it would be wise to upgrade to 256mb of ram? i heard 128 is the minimum for even the os and so i would guess things would not go as smoothly

·
Registered
656 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jonmon:
so it would be wise to upgrade to 256mb of ram? [/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

more RAM is always, ALWAYS better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was pointed to this site today and think it is great to be dealing with CD$,shipping, tax etc info.
I have started (with others) a NFP video coop in Simcoe County ON to help community groups get there "digital" stories out to the community using Community Cable and local broadcasters access laws.
We need to be able to produce cool videos cheep and quick and so I have been teaching people to edit on a souped up Blue and White, now a G4 500. We use imovie and have FCP3.
I now need to put together several portable editing units to 'rent' out so we don't have to keep our doors open the hours people want to edit, ie 24-7.
I am thinking of taking an old wallstreet 14.1 at around $700 and souping it up with sonics G4 500 chip and 2X 256 ram for an aditional $1000?
Would this be a good choice for teaching video editing using the new imovie 3. I would work at lots of client locations and encourage them to buy a FW 120 drive for there footage. If this works I would like to put together several to 'rent' out as portable editors. Anyone have ideas about using wallstreets for this?

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Hey Greg, how ya doin'?

For the past few years I've been an AVID MediaComposer instructor at the Centre for Art Tapes (CFAT) in Halifax, an NFP for video artists.

We've been around for awhile, and survive on Council grants, membership fees, and rentals. We've been lucky enough to be able to afford G4s (QuickSilvers) for our FCP suites.

One of the ongoing proposals has been for exactly what you're doing - an outreach programme for the community-at-large using iMovie. With iMovie 3, one can now do even better-looking production on any Mac that runs OS X.

Our idea was to pick up a bunch of new or used iMacs (of the teardrop variety).. which these days would mean finding some iMac DV systems. A trade-off on three or four used DV 400s in place of a single new portable (since the iMacs could be rented out, and are at least "luggable"). Insurance issues arise, of course...

M.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts