Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i'm in the market for a laptop due to travelling...i'll be using it mainly for graphics work...nothing completely complicated, just macromedia mx, adobe cs, and perhaps quark 6 (even though it sucks). other than that it will be used for surfing and chatting...i'm looking for a G4 for sure but i don't really know the differences between the two...knowing my field and what i'll be using it for will the ibook suit my needs? what are the main differences?

[ February 16, 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: three-sixty ]

·
Registered
379 Posts
Basically if you need an internal Superdrive to burn DVDs or the larger wider screen, get a Powerbook.

The Powerbooks are a little bit faster (larger L2 cache) have a greater RAM capacity (15" and 17" models @ 2gb) and have an optional larger HD up to 80gb that spins at 5400rpm compared to the iBook's 4200rpm HD.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I picked up a 12" iBook g4, which I think is an incredible value for its features ($1350 educational pricing). Much better value than the 12" alBook (867MHz). The new, 1GHz Powerbook 12" has a 512K cache (the 867 had 256, like the iBook G4).

If you're keeping your tower, I'd suggest value over power, unless monwy is no object for you. If you're selling the tower, you might want to consider a faster 15" or you'll notice a significant speed decrease compared to your MDD>

Also, the space is kinda restricted on the 12" display (BTW-you get the same number of pixels in an iBook 14") so you have to hit tab to hide the pallettes often (or lige 6 F-keys in Quark :( . A 15" is perhaps more convient if you need to be superproductive on your laptop.

The Superdrive issue is a good point. Also be aware that there have been some manufacturing defects reported on the 15" alBook screens, so be sure to get one that was manufactured recently if you can.

check this post out if you're debating the 12 or the 15" Powerbook:

http://www.ehmac.ca/cgi_bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006092

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the help peeps...i really wanna go for the 15" pb but it looks like i might have to settle for the 12"...is the 867mHz powerbooks the ones that had the screen trouble?

·
Registered
234 Posts
The new breed of 15" (Firewire 800 models) were reported to have white spots appear on the screen. The 12" 867 models are reported to run quite hot at times. They also have almost identical specs to the iBook G4. If yer goin' fer a Powerbook, spring for the 1GHz on the 12" side -- much better architecture than the previous model. Al least, that's what I'd do. Actually, come to think of it, what I did was save about $600 and get an iBook G4... who needs a superdrive on the road? Not me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts