Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying this summer to get my iBook 500MHZ to operate faster. Why? I felt OS X slow on this machine and could not stand how slow scrolling and opening windows was becoming.

So, I installed a 512 DIMM. That made a difference but the iBook still felt sluggish.

Installing a new Toshiba 60 GIG 5400 RPM drive with a 16MB buffer has made the biggest difference. Huge in fact. My iBook feels like a totally new machine.

For those of you who hold on to your older Macs like treasures, I would invest in a faster hard disk any time. The 7200 RPM WD 60 GIG in my iMac sure helps speed things along and certainly makes iMovie and rendering not quite the chore it used to be.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good to know, it sure ups the interest in those "old" machines. I think I remember that the bus speed was accelerated to 100 Mhz from 67 Mhz starting with the 600 Mhz IBook. So anything that helps the first models to work faster is welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
That's a great tip. I'm curious to know what it costs to install a new HD on an iBook. Ballpark figure, anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Toshiba HD cost me $199.99 USD including shipping (which a portion of it was waived as I originally ordered the 40 gig for $149.99...but that drive was no longer available).

Although I deal more with Other World Computing (prices still tend to be cheaper than buying these components in Canada except for some IDE drives and certain RAM sizes) I went with Heather Harper <[email protected]> at Trans International computers. They had the drive available and were excellent in the deal. Sent the drive within a day of ordering without any additional shipping charges.

Anyway, I've opened my iBook twice already and I've learned a few things along the way:

- don't use metal screw drivers to pry open the bottom case. I had to buy a new upper case assembly with trackpad because I caused too much damage. I now use a hard plastic orange peeler (using the flat end of course) to pry open the case.
- keep track of ALL your screws by placing them in separate little bowls. I use a Tupperware™ container that has multiple compartments, keeping track of where I took the screw from (i.e. lower case, upper case, top shield etc.).
- don't force any screw into its hole (this is general common sense...right?)
- take your time. Plan on making this activitiy an evening adventure. The first time I did this, it took me all afternoon.
- ground yourself. Touch metal often to ensure that you don't carry a charge
- do not open your iBook when the kids are around - especially during snack time
- back-up your data just in case
- excellent detailed steps can be found at

http://www.powerbooktech.com

I figured that I've spent about $400.00 upgrading this iBook. Some may say why bother since this is a 500MHZ/66.7 bus speed machine, but I would have replaced the pokey internal drive anyway as well as the 512 MB DIMM. I still have saved money in the long run.

One last word: I love this machine. Now with the faster hard drive, OSX works exceptionally well (I do notice a slow down when I am copying big files to one machine or my file server e.g. 2 gig or higher files). I also notice a little more battery consumption; but worth the sacrifice for SPEED!

This is how far I can go with this iBook in terms of upgrading unless I can grab a logic board somewhere. Frankly, I like the "titanium-esque" look of this generation of iBook better than the more current "whiter" versions. Despite what some say about the keyboard, I think this iBook's keys are grand!

Finally, opening up an iBook is NOT for the faint of heart. If you have patience and some technical experience, then go for it.

E-mail me with any questions.

;)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Nice job.... Been looking at a few u/g as well, but that one's worth cheering. 60G on an iBook.... nice. ;)

H!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Mobo huh?
(Chuckles maniacly.....)

Does anyone know if a 900mhz will fit in the 500 body?To replace the slow bus and VRAM is worth it right there.

Yeah I always found that the major slowdown was access time on the hd.The beachball must not make so many appearances now.

Did you fix the latch iLabman?

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I had the iBook 500 version and it is miles slower then the 600/ with the 16mb video (I read somewhere that it is has 33% improvement in benchmarks, or something like that ). I realy was disapointed to hear they used a 66mhz fsb. Geeze I thought, they should of stopped using 66 a long time ago. I may put a bigger HD in here sometime in the future, but I am a litte reluctant do to how clumsy I am. I realy need a bigger HD then 20 gig.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I grabbed a whole new trackpad/upper case assembly from PowerBooktech a week ago. The latch was most definitely broken on my iBook. Now...no longer.

It's nice to know that it will remain closed inside its carrying case back and forth to work.

On another note, I did notice a slow down this afternoon after leaving my iBook on all night. I will attempt a reboot.

I partitioned the drive into two 30 gig sections. One is saved for my apps while other is reserved for my video/audio projects. My iMac with the same sized drive is partitioned into three 20 gig sections with one partition devoted to OS 9 stuff.

Grabbing a new MOBO with a faster bus and 16 MB video would be my next route unless I can get a faster iBook forf a good deal somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Is it fairly easy to add new parts for someone who has a decent knowledge of computers? Is the risks high? Or is it failry easy to do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts