Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1 month old iBook with 384 Mb RAM. I was thinking : did I made a mistake when I bought a 256 Mb stick instead of a 512 Mb one? I mean, will I notice a significant speed improvement with 640 Mb instead of 384?

I'm in the mood of spending money on this baby and I don't really what to buy...

Regards

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Yes, you will definitely see more speed with 640 MB of RAM over just 384 MB of RAM. If you use many applications at the same time, and memory hogging ones, such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, iTunes, etc, then I wouldn't recommend anything less than 512 MB - anything under 512 MB for me is rather slow for Mac OS X' needs. If you want the most possible performance out of your iBook, sell the 256 MB module and replace it with a 512 MB SO-DIMM. My 2 cents! :cool:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I do not know how fast your is with 384, but mine with 640 is okay. Not a speed deamon by any means but acceptable.

And beleive it or not I have run out of memory on my iBook with only one program open. It was InDesign with overprint preview turned on. I jhad a 4 page spread open for a magazine I was working on

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Going the 512 vs 256 route in terms of upgrade does make better sense according to many Mac-folk. However, anything above 512 is just best practise under OS X.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i recently switched the chip from 256 to 512 in my ibook and it does a lot better with multitasking

i didn't really notice it was slow before the change, but there was a marked improvement

one thing though, i don't know if you'll find many buyers for your old chip

anyone want one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts