Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying my first Mac, a 700 mhz iBook since it is the most I can afford to spend.

The only thing that has me kind of worried is the fact that it only comes with 128mb of Ram.

I'm going to be using it for schoolwork, the internet and managing my iPod and was wondering if that is enough Ram or is it going to run really slow?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
If under Mac OS X, then yes, it's going to be slow with only 128 MB of RAM. If you don't do gaming, add another 256 MB for 384 MB total and things should be nice and smooth. If you do game, add 512 MB for 640 MB for smooth performance.

·
Premium Member
17,992 Posts
Absolutely boost your RAM. With the prices so low these days, there's really no reason to put up with 128 megs.

"Prices so low?" you say? Ah, you've been in Apple's store, haven't you? Apple charges insane prices for memory. It's easy to install, so buy it from another dealer.

For example ( http://www.coastmemory.com ):

...and Apple charges $320 for the same chip!

:D
M.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I use 384 in my iBook and it runs fine. I ran it without reboot for about 7 days a few weeks ago. If you are going to run a lot of apps and games then you will most likely need to max out. I do not run that many programs so I have no problems.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
CubaMark wrote:
For example ( http://www.coastmemory.com ):

...and Apple charges $320 for the same chip!

(For those interested, you can find a complete price list here. As far as I can tell, the prices are in USD, not CDN.)

While that is cheap RAM, it also looks like generic RAM. There have been numerous discussions on here that have all suggested users steer away from generic RAM due to the number of problems it can cause down the road.

That said, Apple RAM *is* expensive. Kingston RAM (which shouldn't cause problems) is a bit cheaper, plus your Mac dealer will probably install it for free if you buy it when you buy your Mac.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Ive bought ram from coastmemory and it works fine on a 333 imac and 400 g4 graphite tower, and if it didnt they will accept returns for a refund

·
Registered
54 Posts
The ram thing amuses me. Ram is like antifreeze, there is only a couple of companies that make the actual modules. All ram can fail,and does from time to time. I've been adding ram to machines for years. I've bought it from Future Shop, Summmit, the corner PC repair guy, and of course our own supplier. Never had a problem with any of it. I've have bad pieces yes, but the good ones cause no problems.

Ram is Ram, there is no such thing as 'Mac' specific Ram these days.

The G4 I'm on right now has three different sticks in it and it runs great. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.