1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
We've had FOUR in the last 2 months :mad: :mad: Our own stock ONE 700 ......THREE 600s.

Plus several clients with the same problem. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Four out of aprox. how many?

Is the problem restricted to iBooks or are PowerBooks also susceptible to this problem?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
No powerbooks and no later iBooks and nothing we've seen on the 500s either.

Typically you open the screen and it goes dark or streaky.
You close it open it and it goes away.
You open again and it starts to get worse to the point where the screen is only clear when the iBook is open an inch. :eek:

Bad design structurally so there is no real FIX. It has to do with the hinging action. :(
Four out of perhaps 10 we handled in that series. And hundreds of reports on the web. There was another thread here. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
281 Posts
it's about time Apple wakes up from its disgraceful customer service...

if i were practicing law already, my first suit would be against Apple.. their customer service is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Apple.. their customer service is ridiculous

Obviously you haven't called Bell recently.

Or Sony Vaio Support.[1]

It really depends on who picks up your call. Apple isn't always a dream to deal with but Sony Vaio support is always, always a nightmare.

I guess what I am trying to say is that comparatively speaking Apple Support is quite good.

--PB

[1] or Rogers, or Shaw, or Telus, or Linksys, or SMC, or any number of other companies.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I have had hmmm, 7 or 8 ibooks all in the last 8 months..and have to say I have had no major problems at all with any of them...I still own and use a ibook 800 12.1" and it works wonderfully. I have read many forums about ibook problems and it does seem to me that there are issues that need to be addressed here. Apple should be looking into a REAL fix other than replacing parts and sending the units back to the customer to break again. I also think there are A LOT of people who abuse thier ibooks and PB's or laptops in general which causes hardware failures but thats another story.

I guess what I am saying is before I jump on the bandwagon and sue Apple for anything it better be a very bad situation and Apple will have to really really PISS me off first.

If my ibook broke tomorrow no sweat..I have warrantty until Nov 15/2005! which is what most people should have anyways...

Most people don't realize that laptops are WAY more suceptible to failure due to portability, and constant opening/closing etc. GET EXTENDED WARRANTY! it's obviously worth the extra money.

If my ibook kept failing after the third major repair with or without warranty on it then yes I might look at signing on the petition on this lawsuit against them.

I think there are a lot of people out there with nothing to lose and all they want out of this is a free computer! and I guarantee they will be the first to complain when something happens to it..there is no pleasing these type of people at all...EVER. So enjoy your free stuff..hope it makes you happy and that your favorite company goes under for it...

If people want Apples market share to grow keep sueing them it REALLY REALLY helps!!

cheers, Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
A question for all you sellers of this ibook:

Why the hec are YOU still selling them to the public if 4 out of 10 are having this problem?? Sure Apple is messed up for letting this problem happen to consumers but you are just as much to blame if you are willing to let folks gamble when purchasing. These G3s should be shipped back to Mac with a demand for a credit!

I dont usually flame but I hate to see consumers who spend their hard earned $$$ get ripped off.

808kik

·
peek-a-boo
16,644 Posts
hear hear.

imactheknife, what the hell are you talking about? There are people who have spent thousands of dollars on a product, and unfortunately are having a serious problem that apparently Apple doesn't seem to give a rats behind about. As far as I can see and have experienced, Apple has to be pushed to deal with hardware problems, and I don't give a screwball about how bad Dell or anyone else is. I thought Apple was better than them. I love working on a mac, and I personally would like to see better service when it comes to issues like these.

·
peek-a-boo
16,644 Posts
Mine went not long ago. Suddenly the display gets all these horizontal lines skating everywhere, and the machine freezes. Came on out of the blue. Took it in, and they had to replace the logic board. I've read that it is a problem that often happens again and again making the unit basicaly worthless after warranty. Can't say I'm pleased especially after buying the leafblower mac :mad:

The only mac I got that had no problems was the beige, which was the machine that made me switch.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i'd be pissed too.

i was considering an iBook for the spring but now i don't know. does the problem affect the newer g4 ibooks? i would hope they'd have corrected the problem on the newer units....

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
One word describes this lawsuit: Stupidity.

First of all, if this affects new iBooks, and Apple doesn't give a rats-behind, then yes, I can see where this is going. However, I don't think it is affecting new iBooks, therefore, making this lawsuit nothing short of ridiculous.

Here are a bunch of people complaining about iBooks as old as 2001 - 3 years ago - that may be defective. Why does Apple not possibly give a crap about these defectives now? Hmm, when I check the Apple Store, I don't see any iBook 600/700 models in their iBook section -- why should any company care about discontinued products? Apple apparently doesn't, and I wouldn't be surprised if any other reasonable company didn't, either.

I agree that Apple should of cared about the issue back in the year they were still selling, but to demand answers, money and whatever else nowadays is absolutly stupid. I realize still thousands of Mac users own these iBooks, and I know some resellers still even sell them -- but that does not, at all, make Apple have to care about a product, that is, even though still in use by many users, officially discontiued.

As far as I see it, Apple doesn't owe you iBook owners a single thing, regardless if the defect is "Apple-designed" or if the company knew about it. The iBook 600 is old - that's like someone filing a lawsuit against Apple for a defect in the Mac SE* in the year 2003 - just as stupid as this lawsuit. Not exactly the same situation as my example, but pretty close.

*There wasn't a defect in the Mac SE - it was an example.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Lars, though I agree with you to a point I believe Apple to be responsible for any design flaw that would see consistant failure of a product in a period tha fell far short of the life expectancy of the unit. I don't think it is unreasonable to get 5 years out of a laptop. Some people will get more. I also don't think it unreasonable for a laptop to fail after three years but this should be the exception as opposed to the rule. When it does become the rule Its time for the manufacture to make ammends.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lars quote:
"There wasn't a defect in the Mac SE - it was an example."

A better example might have been the Performa 5200 :rolleyes:

This is a little grey for me. they ARE older products... but on the other hand, when you buy Apple, you expect the best -- and Apple should deliver that. Obviously, if they're current products, Apple should give no person an iota of friction. Yet, they do... at least from what I have read and also been told by a personal friend having problems. There are things like "recalls" and, although I amunaware of whether Dell and the others have ever -- or ever had to -- issue a recall, but Apple has in the past, and maybe they should again??

Anyway, Apple should be 1st Class, all the way.

·
peek-a-boo
16,644 Posts
Why are we talking about mac SE's????
My ibook is 6 months old.
Am I to believe that this is normal for Apple products? That if there is a flaw on a until you paid thousands for, your poop outta luck after the 3 yr applecare wears out?
Being a switcher barely a year old, I'm a little suprised and disheartened at that. From what I'm reading it seems like quite the russian roulette to buy an Apple portable these days.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
lars, the ibooks were usually failing within a year. if you had bought one of these ibooks and it had failed repeatedly shortly after you bought it, would you be singing the same tune?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts