Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The touchpad on my iBook G4 has given up the ghost. Completely. I'm using a Targus RF mouse to type this missive.

My machine is under AppleCare for at least another year. I've used it once already and was distinctly unimpressed with the work that was done. See, the entire applications folder spontaneously disappeared. They insisted upon replacing the logic board when the problem was also certainly with the HDD. They swore up and down that the logic board was defective. As you might guess, when the machine came back still sans Applications folder, I just about hit the ceiling. They replaced the HDD in the store and I got the computer back the next day.

When the machine came back, I was significantly underwhelmed by the level of attention given. They didn't bother to clean it or even replace the rubber feet on the bottom or screen. Even Dell does that!

I really fear that they'll do something equally idiotic again and I'll have to go through another two weeks or so without my machine. I depend on my laptop to do my work and want to be without it for as little time as possible. I know that they sometimes just exchange them for an equivalent new one (15" MacBook Pro) over the counter. How does one convince them to do this? Is there some secret word one utters or something? I plan on saying, "look, I've been through enough with this damn thing and it's probably a lemon."

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
You won't get a new machine, certainly not a MacBook Pro (which is NOT equivelant to an iBook G4), from only 2 repairs, one of which is minor (top case). The unoffical rule is 3 major repairs. This would include logic board, display, etc.

As for your gripe about the cleaning it, or rubber feet - that's not their job. Their job is to fix your machine. The rubber foot-type things at the edges of the screen are a pain to replace... how do you get them out unless you pick at the damn things?

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
It's a "trackpad"

It is unlikely that Apple will ever replace your iBook. I think that needs to be said first off. Even if you meet the criteria that we all assume equals the magic lemon status (say, three logic board replacements), it is possible that Apple will only replace the logic board a fourth time. It is possible that Apple will give you a refurb iBook G4.

Now that that's said, it is also possible, although other stories have been much worse, that Apple will agree with you. What you need to do is phone Apple Canada (the AppleCare phone number is probably in your Address Book), and ask nicely, after you give them a chance to review your repair history. But the fact that you've needed AppleCare only once before, even though it was a major repair, is likely going to mean that the computer you bought is the one you are going to keep using. After all, Apple is keeping its end of the agreement by fixing your computer when it needs to be fixed. That's what they said they would do, and what you wanted them to agree to when you purchased AppleCare.

You should though complain to the manager where the computer was fixed about the nature of the computer when you got it back. But if it went in dirty, you cannot complain about it coming back dirty. AppleCare doesn't qualify you for free cleanings. Apple sells replacement feet, and if the computer went in without them, you can also not expect Apple to be responsible for them, but you can find replacements easily.

"They didn't bother to clean it or even replace the rubber feet on the bottom or screen." I don't get the screen reference here.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The obvious solution is to bring it to a different AASP - if you had a bad experience with one particular AASP, bring it to another one. Seems like a somewhat obvious solution to me.

Again - why would you buy AppleCare if you're going to demand a replacement unit? AppleCare isn't to ensure replacements. It's to ensure cost-free hardware repairs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mouse pad cheap fix

hey I'm from australia and had serious problems with my touch-pad after months of hard use at uni, it would bounce around the screen and hardly ever work to to the point that i used an external mouse at all opportunities. So i thought i had to get rid of all the moisture and grease that had accumulated on the touch-pad after many years so i grabbed some johnson and johnson baby powder, (regular scent) and sprinkled a little bit of powder on the touch-pad and spread it around for a while. Instant success and i only need to reapply the baby powder maybe once a month. It also helps because it lubricates the touch-pad meaning you don't cause friction on the surface which both destroys the touchpad and causes it to give false readings. Well i hope this helps somebody out there

cheers from Australia

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
hey I'm from australia and had serious problems with my touch-pad after months of hard use at uni, it would bounce around the screen and hardly ever work to to the point that i used an external mouse at all opportunities. So i thought i had to get rid of all the moisture and grease that had accumulated on the touch-pad after many years so i grabbed some johnson and johnson baby powder, (regular scent) and sprinkled a little bit of powder on the touch-pad and spread it around for a while. Instant success and i only need to reapply the baby powder maybe once a month. It also helps because it lubricates the touch-pad meaning you don't cause friction on the surface which both destroys the touchpad and causes it to give false readings. Well i hope this helps somebody out there

cheers from Australia
Welcome, hope you stick around, if not literally.

And cool, thanks for the tip, although I'd be wary to put anything dust/powder like near the laptop without being extremely careful. Turn away to sneeze or cough, and don't have any doors which can blow open, etc. All the classic cartoon scenarios.

But while you are powdering your computer, what goes on the baby?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts