Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently spilled juice on my 12" iBook G4 1.33ghz OS X 10.4.11 :(. I've got a keyboard cover so there wasn't too much to clean there, but I think the juice also drained into the back near the fan and power cord plug-in.

I left my laptop off overnight to dry out and now it will run using power from the battery. However, when I plug in the power cord, the light indicator on the power cord flashes a few times and then dies. I took off the lower case and I think the problem might be in the DC-in board. :confused:

Do you think this is what it might be?
If so, it seems as though it would be easy to replace myself. Is that the case?

Thanks in advance,

No more juice near my laptop
 

·
Indigent Academic
Joined
·
8,115 Posts
Letting anything besides (distilled, ie. pure) water dry in the event of a spill is a mistake. Not only does juice have residual solids and sugar which promote mould, but also most juices are acidic which is death on computer equipment. Drying concentrates these residues. Even most bottled and tap water has mineral content which, when concentrated by drying, cause electrolytic issues allowing electrons to go where they were not intended to go when they were not intended to go. You will have to open the machine an clean away any and all residue. This might prevent mould growth which can kill equipment but acid damage may (likely has) already have occurred.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response!

I've already opened it up and cleaned out the residue, which was mostly around the DC-in board. Since the acid has likely already damaged that area, do you think it is possible to repair it by replacing the DC-in board?

Thanks again!
 

·
Indigent Academic
Joined
·
8,115 Posts
Sounds possible, buy I can't speak to that from experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top