Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an ibook G4 1.33 MHz here that is randomly shutting down. The user claims it happens when the computer is jostled, although I can't confirm that. Battery is good and will run more than 3 hours if no crash. When it revives, it knows the correct date and time. RAM is original and has never been altered.

I have:
1. Run the battery to exhaustion, then rebooted.
2. Run the computer on AC only.
3. Re-set the PMU.

I've thought about the shimming tricks I've read elsewhere, but that seems primarily to be used for iBooks which crash and don't start up again.

Any suggestions?

·
Wescoastie in exile
255 Posts
This could be a couple of different things, a dead short perhaps? I had a similar situation with an identical model a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be the result of an improper home-repair job. Seems the owner had tried to change the HD and had been less than careful with where the screws belonged. One screw too long in the wrong place dug into the logic board and grounded it to the top shield (but only when picked up a certain way).

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Have you been able to induce the shut down issue? If the battery is old, its been my experience that you get no warning of shutdown, just poof. My first thought was shimming the battery, but first I would be absolutely positive that its not shutting down on AC power as well.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Have you been able to induce the shut down issue? If the battery is old, its been my experience that you get no warning of shutdown, just poof. My first thought was shimming the battery, but first I would be absolutely positive that its not shutting down on AC power as well.
+1; and if shuts down on AC power, the logic board or RAM is likely bad (non-repairable).

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
When you say "randomly shutting down" is this while being used (hands-on) or sitting by itself?

If you have it sitting on a desk, and methodically press down on the case (keyboard / palmrest areas), can you make it shut down?

If you pick it up by one corner near the battery, ditto?

M

·
Registered
220 Posts
14" and the Airport is always on. No screws inside.
k, the issue I was thinking of I have experienced with a number of the 12"s... Different generation.

So a better bet is to follow the other recent suggestions first, but if they don't get you anywhere try replicating the shutdown with the airport turned off.

By the way, in my experience Glass Onion is VERY knowledgeable / experienced with the iBooks, you might want to write him and see if he has any suggestions. He is not only an iBook master, but also a nice guy. :)

·
Premium Member
43,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to replicate the shutdown and see if I can induce it as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.