Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I get...an ibook 12" 800 G4 or a 900 12" G3 ibook...what would you get???

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Depends on the price difference. If it's not that much, I would get the G4 just for all the new features.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
It's a no-brainer.

G4

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
You state in you signature that you have a G5 in Raid.

You will not be happy with a G3, don't get me wrong, I love the G3 and use it everyday with my own machine.

If you have to switch between G5 and G3 you will not be pleased and will curse the G3.

The Powerbook G4 is a great little machine with extras!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
where in GTA can you still get a G3 iBook (assuming 12")?? I just got one @ CSC but not only is it a defect, but I think that it might have been the last one. Will find out in the AM. If price is not issue, might as well jump into the G4: slot drive, Panther, I like the new KB, A.Xtreme... that's my call. ;)

H!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just worried about the small "256" cache on the ibook G4....the G3 ibook has 512 cache....just want some peoples thoughts...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just confused whether to get the 900 G3 14" ibook or the 12" 800 G4 ibook. Both I would be maxing out the ram in. I gotta make the decsion my monday!!

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Well I personally think that the G3's had a lot of life left in them... I think Apple was foolish to release the G4 iBooks in the first place...

However, since they have... the $300-$400 difference (the sell off on G3 price) you should go with the G4 iBook. Seriously the specs are great, and the price difference is minimal.

You will NOT notice a difference between the 14" and 12" screens, unless you have eye problems (if so... get glasses). I have my 12" PB G4 beside my Thinkpad T23 (14")... there is NO appreciable difference (other than one is a sucky PC and the other is an Awesome Mac) in the screens. 1024x768 on a 14" LCD is the same as 1024x768 on a 12" LCD (the only difference is that the pixels are slightly larger on the 14).

·
Registered
661 Posts
The only reason I'd go for the G3 iBook is if I wanted a dual boot machine.

As far as cache? Mac has been decreasing the cache in all of their portables in favour of faster processors (well, they've dropped the L3 cache in their powerbooks)--don't know if the new OS is going to use the cache as much. I think I heard that somewhere...

I'd go for the G4. And I might, though I'm disappointed that the 14"ers get all the fast chips. Maybe the bigger case allows for more heat dissipation? (Speculation again)

Ohenri--looks like Carbon still has a few G3 iBooks (according to their site and trading post posting).

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Farfisa, thanks but I was about to write Carbon. They've beenout of the 12" combo for more than a week and change as I would have bought one there as the official Sponsor. But I called the day that he posted that deal, said that he had one, than mentioned that he had a few more. I called to insure that it was there - and next thing you knew - poof! gone. So - hate to point fingers, but he's out of those and err-time that I see that ad - I'm like 'dude - pls update that'. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the G4 iBook may have been a little premature in release, but it came just in time for the Xmas season, and on top of that, they are benefitting from aggressive pricing. I think that they should be able to move a few during the holiday...

the G3 iBook has tons of life in it. Hell, there is nothing wrong with it. Other than it's not a slot drive. Oh well... I'm playing with one right now just to see if I can get used to the smaller screen. looking good right now.

h!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I moved from a G3 iBook to a G4 Powerbook. There is no comparison. If I had to make your decision, it would be a G4 iBook for sure. You won't regret it, believe me.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Well I'm not sure what you'll be doing with this machine, but for a couple of days I've had a 12" G3 700 mhz ibook that has 640mb ram and 512 L2 cache and it's on Panther and this little puppy is quick! I hate that I have to sell it buy my parents really need the 14". I usually use my 17" 1.33ghz powerbook and I have to say for all of the normal stuff like surfing, email, word, chatting etc...I can't notice any difference?!!!

(p.s. my 12" ibook is still for sale :D )

·
Registered
275 Posts
I guess you gotta consider different factors... there is no doubt the G4 ibook would be better, but if you are low on cash there are a lot of great deals for G3 ibooks. Unless you are gonna be pushing either ibook to the max I really don't think you'll notice a world of performance difference betwene the two. The biggest thing besides the G3 vs G4 is the Radeon 9200 vs the 7500... which is the most tempting factor from my point of view.
So if you need to save money you can't go wrong with the ibook G3, if you can afford it by all means go for the ibook G4.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Go G4 or don't go.

There is no sense in putting your laptop behind the 8-ball as soon as it is out of the box. Apps are only going to be getting more and more processor/memory intense...don't leave yourself 2-chips behind.

I had a G3 Pismo PowerBook (which I loved), but even it was getting long-in-the-tooth for what I needed at the time.

Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think Apple was foolish to release the G4 iBooks in the first place...
Absolutely right, I always thought apple updating their computers were foolish. I mean why would a company ever want to update their product lines to remain competitive in the marketplace? Just makes no sense. Bring back the 604!

If you are going to run lots of Altivec enhanced apps like photoshop then you may as well get the G4. I have a Dual G5 and an iBook 500 I use the iBook to surf the net and write word docs and it works like a dream. I also use it to play my iTunes collection. Of course the OS isn't as snappy as the G5 but I find Panther works like a dream on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts