Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried this out yet? What are your impressions? Smash or Trash?

At first glance, it appears like it may be a cool App. What do you folks think of iBlog?

·
Registered
433 Posts
it's cool. seems easy enough and will automatically publish to your .mac page. but it wouldn't for me. maybe i need to reconfigure.

it's not bad. it's free.

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Just recently I had been debating about whether I should buy iBlog or NetNewsWire. I guess Apple solved that dilemma. If you have a .Mac account, iBlog is by far the most convenient app for blogging and creating an RSS feed. No, you don't get fancy features and bells and whistles, but then if you wanted that, you'd be better off going with MoveableType. I'll try it out for a bit longer and then you know what I think of the features in the app.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Um... one problem, I think. Either I'm doing something wrong, or this is a modified version of iBlog that will only publish locally or to your .Mac iDisk.

If I want to put my blog on an FTP server instead of my (very full) iDisk, that option doesn't seem to be available to me (despite the Help feature saying that it should be).

Can anyone confirm? Maybe it's just our config?

M

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I guess that would be why its free for .Mac, its made to work solely with .Mac.

Pamela - To answer you're question on your "blog", blogging comes from the action of making a blog. Blog comes from the shortening and evolution of the term "web log" which is a log on the web that usually catalogues the changes of an application, a way to inform readers of new news, or posting articles to a web site to be viewed. However blogs, are almost always geared to a topic, and that topic is never, "this is my blog where I moan and complain about my life and say my pet is so cute when I tie it in a knot".

That is a journal, many, many, many people get that confused. A journal is similar to a blog, but is more of a blog diary, so in essence and definition it may fit blog, but its more of a public diary where people share what happened to them. LiveJournal is a great example of a website devoted to such things. Personally I run a JournaBlog, (I made up the term as far as I know), as its half journal since it contains some personal things most people wouldn't care about along with some pertinent info that actually describes on something I'm working on, or as seen in jfpoole's blog, where I compared a Dell and a Mac, and came up with a Dell $1000 more expensive.

The only actual blog I run is the ehMac Gadgets blog, which I just finished redesigning, and the link will be made available when ehMac Place is opened. ehMac Place is my fancy name for the website I'm creating detailing the ehMac Gadgets, and accompanying blog.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've become quite interested in blogs lately. Not just as a personal diary, but also as a content management system. If the technology at the newspaper where I work was more up to date, I would recommend changing our website to something along the lines of a blog. Once you get it set up, it's really easy to keep your content up to date, especially for a news website where you have to update daily.

To me, the ultimate content management system would be so easy that the office secretary could use it. After using iBlog for a few weeks to publish a personal blog, I'm thinking this program has the potential to expand into the CMS field and become popular among businesses. Presumably, Apple paid a tidy sum to the developers (Lifli) to have iBlog available for .Mac. I'm hoping they'll use the extra funding to realize this potential.

BTW, I haven't have any trouble pubishing via FTP. What happens sometimes is that the changes don't show up because the Shaw servers have a caching problem. You can force your changes to show by typing ?whatever at the end of the URL.

If anyone is interested, here is the URL for my blog, LOOPED: http://members.shaw.ca/mwrogers/kamblog/index.html It mostly deals with news about Kamloops, but it also has some Mac stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts