• 15-inch: 2.66GHz (i7)

Votes: 10 34.5%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey Guys.

I just got back from FutureShop & Best Buy, and I'm a little confused on what I should get. Now, I'm a sucker for technology but given the volatility of this economy, I don't plan on giving all my money to corporations. So, here's the deal - here's what I do on the computer on a daily basis.

• YouTube (I'm subscribed to a bunch of channels, and yes, I don't watch TV)
  • iTunes (listen to music)
  • Boxee (that's a media player app. I watch movies.)
  • Skype (video/chat)
  • Browse the net (chrome/safari always multiple windows open)
  • Photoshop (normal images nothing crazy like 20MB and up)
  • Email
  • Download/stream files

So, what would you recommend? The salesman at BestBuy suggested the first option in the above pic; 15-inch: 2.4GHz (i5) and I first casted my vote on this poll.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
I do all of that with a 2.4GHZ Penryn, so an i5 should handle it no problem.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys.

Thanks for the feedback. The cool thing I'd also save a bit of cash going with the 15" 2.4GHz i5.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Agreed with everyone else - base line i5 will do everything you need it to.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
if you're looking to save money you may want to look at refurbs or used MBPs.

Any of the previous generation would still easily be able to do everything you want.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
I'm not sure how serious your photoshop work will be, but you may want to consider getting the high-res display with the matte finish. It'll be much better for photo editing.

Luc

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am in agreement with the 2.4GHz i5. or even the refurbed MBPs.

I suggest that you consider getting the unit, whichever one you decide on, at either an Apple store, or via an on-line order from Apple. Neither Future Shop or Best Buy have prices better than Apple, so why not go to the source directly. They won't add anything to the transaction or business, and if you go to the Apple Store, they can provide a lot of help with things like getting stuff moved over from a PC, technical support, that sort of thing. In addition, if you want extended support, get AppleCare, not the Future Shop or Best Buy in store extended warranties. You do have until the end of the original Apple warranty period to get AppleCare.

Kostas

·
Registered
335 Posts

futureshop has a better return policy (14days no questions asked) than the apple store, if you get it from futureshop and there are dead pixels on the screen you can return it and get a new one

·
Registered
639 Posts
My MacBook Pro from a few years ago handles all that just fine. Why don't you give me the i5 and I'll give you mine? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
My MacBook Pro from a few years ago handles all that just fine. Why don't you give me the i5 and I'll give you mine? ;)
I was thinking the same thing - I'll sell you my 2.4 Penryn for CHEAP!

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
The "low end" i5 will suit you I fine. I ticked off, the i7 just because I didn't read down enough to see what your needs are (I am a power/speed junkie)... OOooppss. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
while the base model will do just fine, you might want the step-up i5 unit for the larger HD.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey fellas.

Thanks again for the comments. It's always nice to hear different perspectives to better shape the idea. I'll check the apple store, and the return policy they have.

I wonder if it fell off the back of a truck, and I had it refurbished if that would still be considered a good deal :) jk.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Considering I can do what you want to do on my 12" Powerbook, I'm sure you'll be fine with the 2.4. ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Super random... tilt my head to the left... and I still can't see up her skirt. :eek: ;)
hahahah! nice!

BTW guys. I just got back from Futureshop and the price is $1799 (250GB) and on the apple website its $1849 (with a 320GB). To be honest, my current MBP is 160GB and I have about 50GB free space so 250GB is good enough.

I think I might as well get it from Futureshop as opposed to online.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Woah... hang on a minute there... something's not right!

Apple doesn't make special versions of the laptop just for Futureshop, and there's no way Futureshop is opening up the MBP to take the 320GB drive out and put in a 250GB drive. So something is up.

My guess is you were looking at the old stock (non-i5 cpu) MBP. They might be trying to pass it off as an i5, so be careful!!

The Futureshop website even lists the i5 MBP as the exact same price as Apple, with the exact same drive.

A7

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Woah... hang on a minute there... something's not right!

Apple doesn't make special versions of the laptop just for Futureshop, and there's no way Futureshop is opening up the MBP to take the 320GB drive out and put in a 250GB drive. So something is up.

My guess is you were looking at the old stock (non-i5 cpu) MBP. They might be trying to pass it off as an i5, so be careful!!

The Futureshop website even lists the i5 MBP as the exact same price as Apple, with the exact same drive.

A7
Uhm.. good point, I prolly was looking at an old stock. I'll check again tomorrow. THanks for the tip.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts