Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's done, I've ordered a dual G4 1.25 from the Apple Canada Store minutes ago. It's got the combo drive, the ATI 9000 Pro, 512RAM,80GB drive, and no modem, for a grand VISA flogging of $2541.00. That total is higher due to the free Canon i450 printer I threw in. It requires a $149,00 rebate, but ends up as a free printer. (that offer ends at midnite tonight) The free shipping is nice too.

When I considered all the research I've done since the G5 was announced, I realized, that for my needs the dual G4 was more than adequate. I do little Photoshopping, and little video ripping. Also, I have a 2x Superdrive sitting here awaiting the second optical bay. My games will fly, and with the money saved I can get more RAM and a SlimP3. (Perhaps I should've got just 256 RAM, due to Apple's unreasonably high RAM prices, but too late now, the order is in)

In a year, or two, or three, I'll be ordering a G5, second or third revision, and I'll be more than ready to make the big league by then. I realize I've wimped out for the time being. A bit of single malt Scotch will heal that, and allow me to carry on as if I were on the cutting edge.

Anticlimactic, yes, but after using a single G4/867 for 18 months, this dual will be a wonderful addition, I can hardly wait. But, then again, if I were rich... well, you know...

-GW

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
gw, let me be the first to wish you "Kudos" and "Mazel tov" on your purchase. I have "delayed" my purchase for nearly two years, so 18 months is reasonable. Enjoy.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Congratulations! You will most definitely enjoy your new dual G4!

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
gwillikers
welcome to the brotherhood of Dual G4 dualists!
I 've had mine for a little while now, and It is the finest machine, I've ever owned.
and it has more expansion than the first wave of G5 units
Im 100% sure Panther will fly on this machine
also the 64 bit question, is that it likely wont be needed for 5 years to have a 64 bit CPU

In 3 to 6 years 64 bits will be more realistic in its application on desktop systems
just my thoughts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Way to go gwillikers,

I've had my dual for a few months now... even if it's not a G5 you'll be pretty hard up to find anything wrong with it.

If you ever have a 100 clams or so... look into getting the Revoltion 5.1 from M-Audio... and some sweet speakers. It does nothing for productivity.. but it's holy cool. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mee Too!!!

I ordered one a couple of days ago... minimum specs, (i have a superdrive already)...

and I'm adding airport card and additional 1536k of Kingston Ram... sweet. :)

Hmmm, i didn't think the printer special worked with the towers... I'll have to look into that.

Edit; OK, I see you can add it to your PowerMac order, yet on the actual form to send in, it doesn't mention Powermacs.

[ June 28, 2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Snaggy ]

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Canon printer thing doesn't mention the PowerMac as eligible on the pdf form, but the Apple web page says any Mac. I must call to make sure, that's quite the bait to have "any Mac" right on their main Apple Store web page.

The best G4 deals are on the "smalldog.com" web site. They have the same machine I just bought, refurbished, or open box, with a bigger hard drive, modem, and a superdrive. I was tempted, the price works out nearly the same, but after shipping it would have been a bit more. Buying in Canada seemed the better option in the end.

-GW

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The lack of those 3 things (Firewire 800/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) is one of the reasons why I changed my order today. The other reason is the concern about the noise of Wind Tunnel machines. Some get reasonably quiet one's, others refer to them as leaf blowers, and some have even sold their's due to noise. There's also a few who are having major overheating problems with them. Since you can't order one and return it if it's too noisy, I bailed.

I've ordered a G5 1.8 instead. A lot more money, and there's perhaps even more unanswered questions surrounding a G5, but it's definitely well designed. Hope I did the right thing.

-GW

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
gwillikers, we are in the same boat. I sat on a research grant of $5783 for nearly two years. On July 4th, my order will have been processed here at Memorial University and be on it's way to Apple Canada. Thus, with a 1.8 G5, I shall declare my independence from a Wintel machine. I took Neil Yates' advice and upgraded the video card to the ATI Radeon 9600 and bumped it up to one gig of RAM (NOT Apple RAM), with the possibility of getting another gig to follow this order. Some have said "Yes, go for the extra RAM for video editing", while others have said "No, don't bother." Sometimes even Mac mavens can disagree, but I tend to listen to the handful of Mac Mavens that I trust and admire for their honesty and expertise.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Today I was able to find a dual 1.25 with the Firewire 800/bluetooth, and airport extreme, so I'm a pretty happy geek tonight. :)

The machine is fairly quiet... quieter even than our dual 500, which we are pleasantly surprised over. :)

and it's fast... very nice. :)

but you know you're gonna love the G5 :)

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
> but you know you're gonna love the G5 :)

I am for sure, but I wish I knew when I was going to love it... September, October...?

I'm a rather impatient bloke, and I know that waiting for a good deal on a used, or refurb G4 dual would have been a pretty good idea too. But having sold my baby, an 867 tower, I felt I needed to make a decision now. I'm sharing a G4/466 that I've passed down for my teenaged girls use, so I'm okay for a while. But waiting for the G5 will be painfully long. I seriously doubt the late August delivery date that Apple has suggested.

Ooops, gave away my age again... teenaged girls... darn! =)

-GW

·
Registered
951 Posts
G... I feel your pain!

I'm so tempted by the G4/1.25*2 but long term I think I'm better off with the G5. However, I hate the thought of waiting till September and I'm concerned about getting a Rev A... so I'm holding off until the reviews and benchmark tests come in. Right now I'm favouring the G5/1.8 but I'll see what happens. I also saw someone selling a Quicksilver for $1000... that's pretty tempting too and a whole lot cheaper.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Fink Nottle, is that "G" as in Dr.G. or "G" as in gwillikers? Whichever, for me, there is no pain. Rather, it is the end of a two-year long journey, from the original iBook to the 1.8 G5. I am not as impatient as gwillikers, but I was hoping to have a Mac by my second anniversary of registering for ehMac.ca (Aug.4th). C'est la vie.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been waiting for a while to upgrade my 400 Yikes! G4 (PCI graphics). I've just checked Mac Warehouse and they are now offering the dual 1.25 (older and sometimes noisier version) for $1779! Thats $600 dollars less than a newer 1.25 at Carbon.
My plan was to buy a G5 in 6 months or maybe a year, but I am definitely weakening. I do lots of graphic work and lately I'm becoming pretty unhappy with my system.
Buying the Yikes weeks before the introduction of the Sawtooth was painful for a day or so, but the machine has given me great service. This time the new generation machines are definitely in sight. This price is so good. I'll be running much faster and I can keep my three drives.
That's it, GW, I'm wimpin right along side you. Yiippee!

[ July 08, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: old dawg ]

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Once Apple actually starts to ship the G5s, what might be an expected waiting period? I recall people nearly went mad on this forum waiting for the 17" AlPBs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oops. I guess I should have glanced through this thread a little more thoroughly. Both G... and G... are presently waiting it out.
The recent price drop on what I've ordered is unquestionably a reflection of what the new G5 means to power users and I can easily imagine the howling from the PC zealots when the reviews of actual machines hit the stands.
For now though, I'm very happy. Yes, my wife has become very quiet, but my daughter has the smile of someone who realizes she's about to inherit a tower.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.