Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to bring organization to my Applications folder, I created sub-folders (A/V, Internet, etc.) and moved the applications into them.

It seemed brilliant at the time, but my Firefox install is a little munged. The app runs and my bookmarks are present, but themes and extensions do not seem to function. My customized layout is also gone. Are there any possible fixes?

Was this a bad idea in general? Am I likely to encounter problems with other apps?

Thanks for any information you can offer up, and please let me know if I can supply any other information to help with diagnosis.

edit:
Late 2007 MacBook
Leopard (10.5.1)
Firefox 2.0.0.11

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
In an effort to bring organization to my Applications folder, I created sub-folders (A/V, Internet, etc.) and moved the applications into them.

It seemed brilliant at the time, but my Firefox install is a little munged.
I have my Firefox in a sub-folder (like you, called Internet) within the Applications folder. Works fine, so I suspect something else.

While we're on this subject, though, broadly speaking what you and I are doing is a bad idea. Apple apps in particular need to be exactly where Apple puts them, or else they don't update properly. In those cases, I add an alias to my "Internet" folder rather that the actual app.

In your case, I suspect that if you toss your Firefox support folder, restart Firefox and force it to create a new one, it will work fine again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While we're on this subject, though, broadly speaking what you and I are doing is a bad idea. Apple apps in particular need to be exactly where Apple puts them, or else they don't update properly. In those cases, I add an alias to my "Internet" folder rather that the actual app.
Seeing this encouraged me to try and restore things to how they were. Moving Firefox back to Applications (rather than just copying) seems to have sorted out that particular problem, so thanks for the guidance there. :)

I know that I ended up moving some Applications into Utilities, but I'm not entirely certain which ones they were. Is there a list where I might consult what should be in Utilities vs. what should be in the general folder above it?

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I have done what you have without any problems, except I never moved any Apple apps. Things like Onyx- I used to install it to my Utilities folder when the install procedure gave me the option, but the new version out doesn't give the option to install anywhere else but Applications. To be safe, I put any apps that are installed by dragging where I want them. Any apps that require an install procedure, I put them where they go by default, most always Applications.

·
Premium Member
12,073 Posts
thanks for the guidance there. :)
You're most welcome!

I know that I ended up moving some Applications into Utilities
Ah that's likely to be a problem.

Is there a list where I might consult what should be in Utilities vs. what should be in the general folder above it?
Here's the list from my Utility folder under Leopard, ymmv. Please note that the "iPod Reset Utility" may have been put there by me, and Adobe put those Adobe folders in there when I installed CS3. Everything else is standard Apple issue as of 10.5.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
With the Dock, Spotlight, utilities like Quicksilver, and more, who really needs an organized Applications folder?

I've never had the urge to organize things there. Heck, since Spotlight, I don't even organize my documents folder, and I create 2-3 new documents daily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the list from my Utility folder under Leopard, ymmv. Please note that the "iPod Reset Utility" may have been put there by me, and Adobe put those Adobe folders in there when I installed CS3. Everything else is standard Apple issue as of 10.5.
Perfect. Thanks also for that. :) I've hopefully restored everything to where it was.*

In the future, I've decided to leave the Applications folder entirely to itself, instead using Quay and Aliases to sort out my software.

*I'll leave out how, in using Automator to correct things, I somehow managed to transform all the applications into folders. :eek: This seems to have been restored by copying over applications from Time Machine backups and deleting the folders, but crikies, that vexed me more than the original problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.