Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the dock. It eats screen real estate. It is more bother than it is handy.

The Hide Dock command leaves the dock only semi responsive and thus is a poor work around.

What I want is what ever the OS X equivalent to the old Classic "Application Switcher" and its later system built in varients. You know, one item with a drop down that sits in your top of window menu and Does Not Get In The Way.

Please tell me that something of this type exists.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Deleted.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I liked the drop down application menu in the upper right hand corner of the screen. I think it would nicely compliment the dock if it could be added to an OS X system somehow.

-Rob K.
I guess my problem with the dock is that it is trying to do everything. Application switcher in Classic and it's OS built in descendants, application menu, gave a drop down list of all applications open - and took up no space on the screen. The dock shows open applications with the little triangle icons under the app. icon.

What I could then do in Classic ( and still could do with OS X if I could get rid of the dock and still see open applications) was set up an applications folder on the desktop with aliases to all applications in it. It would stay nicely behind everything until one pulled Finder to the front. Then all applications would be instantly accessible.

The dock insists, in "good" OS X applications, on limiting the screen real estate occupied by the application by stopping the screen short of the dock, and in "bad" meaning older OS X applications, it stays in the forefront, covering the bottom part of the open screen for that particular application.

In effect, it is taking up at least at least as much screen real estate as the task bar in XP. I do have to admit, it is prettier though.

Now, I could pretty much limit the dock to the finder and the trash can, but as soon as I start opening things, it fills up again.

There has to be a hack for this.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This was in a previous thread ( here --> http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-troubleshooting/8811-disable-dock.html ) but I'll see if I can give you a consolidated version. You will need to download one piece of free software unless you're happy using the command line... which I can't help you with because I don't know it from a hole in the ground ;)

1) Download the free version of Tinkertool (TinkerTool: Description ). You can just run it from the Disk Image, but keep it around just in case you want to undo any changes made with it.

2) In Tinkertool, choose the Dock icon and set the position to "Top". Here endeth the need for Tinkertool (although it has other neat things that make it worth keeping).

3) Via System Preferences > Dock uncheck "Magnification" and "Animate opening applications", and check "Automatically hide and show the Dock".

Your dock is now hidden at the top of the screen and will only show up if you hover over the three pixel shadow immediately under the menu bar. If you just pass your mouse over this space nothing will happen. Also, applications won't bounce up in front of you while they launch.

If you want you can do the following step, but it isn't necessary unless you hate the Genie minimising thing:

4) [Optional] Go to the System Preferences pane and choose Keyboard and Mouse. From there choose the Keyboard Shortcuts. Create a new shortcut for all applications (the default) with the Menu Title set to "Minimize" (no quotes). Make the shortcut something that you would absolutely never use unless you were pounding the crap out of the keyboard or *really* wanted to be able to use this. Now windows will not minimise via keyboard shortcut without performing gymnastics.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
The issue with the fix above is that it will mess up the pull down menus at the top of the screen i actaully liked the dock at the top but it messed up with my photoshop menus to much

·
Registered
619 Posts
The issue with the fix above is that it will mess up the pull down menus at the top of the screen i actaully liked the dock at the top but it messed up with my photoshop menus to much
Hmm. I haven't come across that problem, but I also don't use Photoshop. Do you have any screenshots or a description of how it screws up the menus? I'd like to see if there's a way to fix the issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
type this into terminal:

(from Hacking Mac OS X Tiger, by Scott Knaster)

sudo mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app ~/Documents/

then give it your password if it asks.

and then

killall Dock

the only side effect is that the dashboard doesn't work either.

To get it back:

sudo mv ~/Documents/Dock.app /System/Library/CoreServices/

then you double click the icon for the dock in /System/Library/CoreServices

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Hmm. I haven't come across that problem, but I also don't use Photoshop. Do you have any screenshots or a description of how it screws up the menus? I'd like to see if there's a way to fix the issue.
basically when you do any pull down menu it makes space for the dock for some reason it's only in photoshop even in the smallest dock you get a gap that messes up going into the submenus

·
Registered
247 Posts
Have you thought about moving it to the side of the screen? There are a bunch of 3rd party apps which will do this.

I keep mine so that it's vertical in the bottom left hand corner of my screen. I find I need the vertical space more then the horizontal, and it's still easily accessible.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dock Vertical

Have you thought about moving it to the side of the screen? There are a bunch of 3rd party apps which will do this.

I keep mine so that it's vertical in the bottom left hand corner of my screen. I find I need the vertical space more then the horizontal, and it's still easily accessible.
The big problem with the dock as designed is that it floats to the front of all windows. In effect they have added a second set of menues. This remains a problem in what ever orientation it is.

I would be very happy with the dock as is if I had the option to make it stick to the desktop or the option to make it behave as another window that could be moved forward or backward. Then I could use that space at will.

There are a lot of neat things on the dock. It is this one factor that makes it annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More Screen Shots

Hi Sync,

I am not sure how to post pics to show up on the screen here.

I have two screen shots of the same program, one showing it running on Classic and the other on OSX. I have attached them instead.

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
I see what you're getting at, but why can't you just set your dock to minimum size and close the window a bit to have the dock below the open window thus allowing access to the bottom info on the open program? A simple click and drag upwards on the lower right corner of the open window will do it. :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hmm. Okay, last try for me 'cause I'm out of ideas after this:

Using tinkertool again, set the dock to be pinned to the right side of the screen (ie: Instead of the Dock sitting in the middle it has the trash icon glued to the right-hand side). After removing all of the icons and shrinking the thing to its smallest possible size the Dock *may* no longer interfere with your Photoshop menus.

I can only imagine that there's something about Photoshop using Rosetta emulation or some old code that's creating this issue because I simply haven't been able to recreate the situation you describe with any other application. [shrugs]

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see what you're getting at, but why can't you just set your dock to minimum size and close the window a bit to have the dock below the open window thus allowing access to the bottom info on the open program? A simple click and drag upwards on the lower right corner of the open window will do it. :)
LOL ... If this was some one elses program, that is probably what I would do. However, in this case what you are looking at is the list view for a nutrition database written in FileMaker Pro 5.5, where I happen to be the author. Written in FMP 5.5 the program should run natively and glitch free in:

Classic 8.1 or 7.6 though to 9.2.2
OSX - pretty much all versions
Windows - 95 through to XP and maybe even Vista - though Vista is not tested.

This is a pretty wide range of systems supported. This is why it is in FMP5.5. If I was to put it out as a runtime, it could reach the largest possible audience. Previous versions do not support OSX and later versions start at XP on the Windows platform.

The actual command when going to this screen is a zoom command - giving the user the maximum number of entries to view independent of screen size. On any other OS, this works. It also has the nice side effect of limiting the screen use to the actual size of the layout from side to side so that people can get behind the application to reach other things on both Classic and OSX. But here it also places the lower right corner of the open window behind the dock.

I can get around it a couple of ways. But other programs I run also exhibit this behaviour... So it is not just "me". The Hide dock command shows that Apple recognizes that there is a potential problem. However, the solution is not good enough. Also, it is a problem that is only with this OS. I am hoping that the next OS rev gives better controls for this. In the mean time, I was looking for a good third party fix.

The example I used in the screen shots was illustrative to show OSX and Classic side by side. I currently have apps written in the latest version of FileMaker with the same problem. It is not bad, if the particular program is the principal application on their desk top. They hide the dock and life goes on. It is where the progam is a secondary application that they get annoyed.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts