Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Grand Canyon info

sigh..........let's see one more Radeon 7000 card in the G5 = 4 screens :D

[ November 27, 2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
wouldn't your arm get sore?

also, the manufacturer's website is a blatent rippoff of apple's, so why the windows xp in the mockup graphic for the panoramic screen?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The manufacturer has actually been shown to be somewhat shady, and from what I have read I wold recommend against giving them a dime.

I dont have a link handy, but I will try to find it in my history

--PB

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
let me see it i've got this right.

this guy Leibermann, a former director of Coca Cola commercials, receives orders in a Mailboxes like account, then buys the hardware from other vendors, slaps his logo on it then ships it to the customer?

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
this is a shady company. here's a snippet from the article chealion linked to (which is highly amusing, btw). It basically describes how the work station they have for sale could not exist:

"This is mostly concerning the absolute asinine claims they make with their Desktop line of systems, and how such a product does not, and probably can not, exist.

The Mach 3.8 Desktop promises to do just about everything but bathe you. First of all, the main picture of the machine is a lie straight off the bat. They show 3 monitors spread out in a wide panoramic view. This is possible with the Matrox Parhelia, but not with the Radeon 9800 Pro they say ships with the system. It supports 2 monitors, unless another add-on PCI card is installed. The monitor they show is also doctored up. I've seen some like it before, but it's showing 3 input screens there, not just a spread image on a non-standard resolution display.

Advertised features include:

3.8GHz* Accelerated Hyper-Threading Extreme Edition 2MB L3 Cache Intel® P4

Intel does not allow for direct marketers to overclock their products. It's a strict no-no, and this company wouldn't even be allowed to use the Windows Logo. The P4 can't reliably handle speeds that fast. 3.2 GHz is about the top that product will really hit. Beyond that, this processor won't be hitting the market for another month, and was just announced last week to compete with the Athlon 64 in the gaming market.

Support for next-gen Pentium 5 Prescott CPU

Since the next line of Pentium processors will most likely be in a different socket, and Intel is pushing for the BTX case standard, this seems highly unlikely.

PuRam™ No System Hard Drive Configurable
Up to 1.000 faster than ATA/SCSI/FC HD based designs with Data Burst Speeds up to 8GB/s and I/O data requests at over 150.000 I/O sec.
Enhanced CacheFlow™ Technology
SuperBIOS™ IBPT Technology

Pure marketing here, since most of this is absolutely bogus. My personal favorite is how they have "1.000" instead of "1,000" times. That would make it exactly 1x times faster, or the same speed. [We like the "150.000" IO per second too -- wow 150! -Sam] [But] making a claim where you're putting ATA and FiberChannel in the same bracket is like saying a car can outrun a Neon/Corvette/Ferrari. The other two technologies are just made up words.

Up to 16GB Total RAM with optional RamDrives.

This one is my personal favorite. If you scroll down the page, you'll see a picture of this "optional" RamDrive card. It's based on the PCI Express architecture. This is not supported on any current Intel chipset. The picture of the case with the motherboard exposed shows 6 standard 32-bit PCI slots. So you can get this mystery card, but you will not be able to plug it in. Beyond that, there would be very little to gain with those cards, since your PCI bus runs at 33 MHz, while your FSB and Memory bus run quite a bit faster. No matter how fast you get on one portion, you go according to the lowest value.

[...]

More interesting is just the lack of homework they put into creating the perfect "professional" workstation. Anyone who does serious CAD or rendering work would look past a Radeon 9800 (which is not AGP 8x Pro, just 8x) to a workstation-level product, like the FireGL or the Quadro from nVidia.

The majority of what is seen here is just stating technical specifications of existing products (like the professional audio that is standard house for any Audigy card) as an actual feature set."

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mind you I WAS more enamoured of the concept than looking at it as a real possibility and 4 monitors would be easy on a G5.
We've got a mix of 4 x 15" Apple and others maybe we will try this weekend.

That said how many here use multiples - I have a couple fo clients using 3 regularly, many using two ( me included ) - (my PC friend walks in and says why would anyone want a second monitor
:D ).

Exposé is terrific for multiples as I get really cluttered with more screen real estate.
:cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got three 17-inchers on my desk (monitors, that is) thanks to Parhelia.

·
Registered
129 Posts
there are plenty of monitor manufacturers (such as 9xMedia) that offer similar multi-display monitors, and there are indeed Quad-display graphics cards (like the Matrox G450 MMS), so it's absolutely possible to drive a quad-display panel with a single graphics card.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Reality (Bill Joy's apartment) is more amazing than fantasy (Liebermann scam):
What are you doing for fun these days?
I'm figuring out a meditation wall for my apartment in New York. Eight feet high by 12 feet wide, with an array of overlapping rear projectors, each with a tiny Linux box and connected by gigabit Ethernet. I would love to get 72 dpi but will probably settle for less - about 30 megapixels for the whole thing. [Former Walt Disney Imagineering guru] Bran Ferren and Danny Hillis [inventor of massively parallel supercomputing] at Applied Minds are building it for me. It's very bright. Given that it's in an apartment, the main limitation will be power availability. I'll also need some great 30-megapixel images. Any ideas? I can always put a picture of stars on the wall. In Manhattan, you can't see them - except, of course, in a blackout.
Wired: Hope Is A Lousy Defense -- Sun refugee Bill Joy talks about greedy markets, reckless science, and runaway technology. On the plus side, there's still some good software out there. -- By Spencer Reiss

·
Registered
72 Posts
Aren't those LCD screens? I thought Macdoc hated LCD screens? I seem to recall a thread about that somewhere...
Either way I think they're a fake too. It is a ripoff on the Apple site. Could this site be an attempt at satire or something? I don't know, It does look shady.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used to have a tri-monitor setup, and loved it. Being able to position multiple open documents/ web browsers at a time is a huge plus.

I am truly waiting, however, for the day that multi-megapixel wall-size displays arrive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts