ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been trying to duel boot Mac os 10.4.11 with Mac os 9. It is a iMac (Early 2001) indig. I did something stupid I used sheep shaver to make a system folder you’ll know why in a minute. Now I installed Mac os 9.0.4 (the sheep shaver max along with my ROMs) on a dmg so I could get the system folder later.

When I put in my Mac os 9.0.4 CD it gives me a floppy with a ? on it same with my 9.2.1 cd now what I did was take the sheep shaver system folder put it on my HD went into my startup disk and set it to the sheep shaver system folder only Mac os 9.0.4.

I am an extreme idiot because now I look up and see my Mac runs a minimum of Mac os 9.1 and its trying to boot on 9.0.4 so I get a folder with a ? And then switches to the finder I need help I tried holding CMD-x but it doesn’t work Help!!!

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I tried reading through all of this (seriously, preformalover, a few paragraphs would make it easier)

My first thought is to restart with the proper boot CD in place, and hold down Command-C through the startup procedure to force it to boot from the CD.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry about the formating what did you mean by proper boot CD. Do you know why my mac os 9.2.1 cd will give me the floppy with the ? on it if I could install mac os 9 I could change my startup disk and complete what I origanaly wanted to do

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
sorry about the formating what did you mean by proper boot CD. Do you know why my mac os 9.2.1 cd will give me the floppy with the ? on it if I could install mac os 9 I could change my startup disk and complete what I origanaly wanted to do
When you hold down the C key when booting?

Hmmm did you try resetting the pram?

K

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Can't you just use Classic, rather than fooling around with Sheepshaver?

·
ehMac Genius
522 Posts
Unless you have important files on the hard disk, Re format and start over.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
OK, this is a bit like pulling teeth. When you want help, please provide all of the relevant details up front, and answer the questions that have been asked.

Have you tried holding Command-C to force it to boot from the CD?

Have you reset the Parameter RAM? (restart, and hold down all together the Command, Option, P and R keys until the machine has chimed three times, then release the keys)

Proper CDs means the disks that came with the iMac, or disks that have a system known to be good with that machine.

Your 9.2 CDs -- you bought them from eBay -- are these the RETAIL 9.2 package, or are they disks that came bundled with a Mac? If they came bundled with a Mac, and that Mac was not an iMac G3 like yours, (or a sufficiently similar machine) then the reason it's not booting the iMac is that the CDs likely have the wrong system resources for your machine and they are not recognized as a valid System.

You had problems with Classic.... What problems in specific?

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, this is a bit like pulling teeth. When you want help, please provide all of the relevant details up front, and answer the questions that have been asked.

Have you reset the Parameter RAM? (restart, and hold down all together the Command, Option, P and R keys until the machine has chimed three times, then release the keys)

Proper CDs means the disks that came with the iMac, or disks that have a system known to be good with that machine.

Your 9.2 CDs -- you bought them from eBay -- are these the RETAIL 9.2 package, or are they disks that came bundled with a Mac? If they came bundled with a Mac, and that Mac was not an iMac G3 like yours, (or a sufficiently similar machine) then the reason it's not booting the iMac is that the CDs likely have the wrong system resources for your machine and they are not recognized as a valid System.

Yes when I do command It completely ignores the cd and goes to the folder with the finder ? then after a few seconds changes to floppy with a ? then this is weird goes to load mac os 9 I get the happy mac and then it goes to the mac os nine loading screen and I acept it is the extensions off one and get a error message saying

"Sorry, a system error occurred.

unimplemented trap
To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down shift" and then there a restart button in the right corner and a time bomb in the left I get the same thing with just holding down "c" but no folder with the finder and then a ?

Have you reset the Parameter RAM?
Yes it start doing whats above after I did that

I do not have Proper CDs like I said before I bought this used all I mac is mac os 9.2.1

Your 9.2 CDs -- you bought them from eBay -- are these the RETAIL 9.2 package, or are they disks that came bundled with a Mac?

as far as I know they are retail

I think my problem were from me not setting it up correctly there was a web page tutorial I dont know the site that said copy the system folder of you cd to the HD and then when I did that I got the error that said something about the startup disk had to be on the origanal media

also replying to HowEver's question
"If you're putting Tiger on this computer, did you perform the iMac G3 firmware update first? If not, you'll kill it."

Tiger was installed and working fine when I bought it

·
Registered
487 Posts
well hard to tell the type of issues you have as you are not quite clear on your problem.
10.4.11 is nice, but what kind of machine that you are trying to install it onto as there is a lot of different imac out there? unless i missed it "french guy you know"

Now the PRAM reset is one way of doing it, but have you tried the PMU or Cuda chip reset? Ram swap?

Now as for the CD boot. your disc should be or should have a orange sticker on it that says G3 imac which you should be able to boot from while holding the "c" key if it is an older model imac. but again i don't know the model of your Imac. is it G3, G4 or G5? i'll put G5 on the side as they can't take os 9. if you are booting under os x, have you tried to boot under the Verbose mode so you know what is going under the booting process?.

Again as most of us said? the more info about your machine and the symptom, the better we can help you. i hardly post for help as i do have some issues of my own with my G4 MDD, but i and we are trying to put as much info as possible in order to remedy to the source of the problem as soon as possible.

But by the best of what i can read anyway ...
Is by the best of my knowledge is to try to find a bootable cd "original with your machine" or you can ask or beg for it online as i do have a few here sitting for older G3 imac and some G4 imac. PM me if you need one, but try to boot from it. If it refuse to boot from it, chances are that your mother board is gone just like my G4 did as all the i/o port were gone so none of my drive would work. Even the ASD disc wouldn't do the trick.

So let me know how it goes. or should say, let us know how it goes

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Hmm could very well be that your installation CD's are incompatible.

If you can find them a set of eMac installation CD's will work with your G3 iMac. You will want the 1st generation CD's btw.

The other thing you could do is pull the HD and use an external case or USB to IDE adaptor to reformat and possibly clone a working installation onto this drive. Or just do a fresh install from one of the other Macs in your collection..... ;)

If all else fails you could lug it out to Pickering on the GO Bus.... :D

Kevin

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
It seems the actual OS 9 install CD's versions have not been confirmed properly for booting that iMac which needs to be confirmed.

That 2001 iMac needs Mac OS 9.1 as a minimum. Install disks meant specifically for another Mac model probably won't work.

Not all of those iMacs will boot using the 'C' key method, and the 'startup disk' preference pane needs to be used instead to select the inserted CD and then just restart.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
FYI, the installation disks for the eMac 700-800MHz contained OS 9.2 and it will install on any Mac capable of running that OS.

And the installation CD's for the later eMac's with 10.3 will also install on Macs other than the eMac such as the G3 iMac.

K

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well hard to tell the type of issues you have as you are not quite clear on your problem.
10.4.11 is nice, but what kind of machine that you are trying to install it onto as there is a lot of different imac out there? unless i missed it "french guy you know"

Now the PRAM reset is one way of doing it, but have you tried the PMU or Cuda chip reset? Ram swap?

Now as for the CD boot. your disc should be or should have a orange sticker on it that says G3 imac which you should be able to boot from while holding the "c" key if it is an older model imac. but again i don't know the model of your Imac. is it G3, G4 or G5? i'll put G5 on the side as they can't take os 9. if you are booting under os x, have you tried to boot under the Verbose mode so you know what is going under the booting process?.

Again as most of us said? the more info about your machine and the symptom, the better we can help you. i hardly post for help as i do have some issues of my own with my G4 MDD, but i and we are trying to put as much info as possible in order to remedy to the source of the problem as soon as possible.

But by the best of what i can read anyway ...
Is by the best of my knowledge is to try to find a bootable cd "original with your machine" or you can ask or beg for it online as i do have a few here sitting for older G3 imac and some G4 imac. PM me if you need one, but try to boot from it. If it refuse to boot from it, chances are that your mother board is gone just like my G4 did as all the i/o port were gone so none of my drive would work. Even the ASD disc wouldn't do the trick.

So let me know how it goes. or should say, let us know how it goes
it is not the origanal cds they are retail cds I bought of ebay also its a g3 it in the title of the forum

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think my hard drive is dead when I hold options it does not show anything but the cd if its in the drive I will try replacing it its funny if this is the problem because before I was even having his problem I ordered a new HD just to upgrade I am also trying to track down some ppc tiger cds I think I found some just have to win the auction

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
I think my hard drive is dead when I hold options it does not show anything but the cd if its in the drive I will try replacing it its funny if this is the problem because before I was even having his problem I ordered a new HD just to upgrade I am also trying to track down some ppc tiger cds I think I found some just have to win the auction
Hmmm... You've been posting and fighting your problem for what - three days now, with all kinds of pleads to provide proper feed back info and still no solution. Gheese...

Find yourself a decent Mac tech in your area and pay the price to get your problem resolved.

Probably the best money you ever spent if you get a good Mac tech. ;-)

Patrick Mead-Robins
Mac Solutions
250-652-1860
Brentwood Bay BC
-----------------------------

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm... You've been posting and fighting your problem for what - three days now, with all kinds of pleads to provide proper feed back info and still no solution. Gheese...

Find yourself a decent Mac tech in your area and pay the price to get your problem resolved.

Probably the best money you ever spent if you get a good Mac tech. ;-)

Patrick Mead-Robins
Mac Solutions
250-652-1860
Brentwood Bay BC
-----------------------------
I dont pay for techs until all hope is lost there is no point in pay some one to do a job you can do your self with some tools and a little research but I think I found my solution I am going to put a new HD in and I also bought mac os tiger retail ppc cds that the seller said have been sucsessfully used on a Imac g3

1 - 20 of 32 Posts