Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... And I have a couple of questions:

1. I have a requirement to be always available (as I do technical support) and as a result I have a Sierra Wireless 860 HSDPA cellular Data PC card for my current notebook. That is clearly not going to work in an MBP. Does anybody know of a ExpressCard that I can get for the MBP (ideally unlocked)?

2. Does anybody have any opinions about 128MB of video RAM versus 256MB video RAM? I don't do graphics or anything and only occasionally play video games.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Bell is the only that has one, the Novatel X720 ExpressCard
Bell.ca - Browser Support

A quick search on eBay sees an unlocked version for $350.
eBay.ca: NOVATEL MERLIN X720 WIRELESS EXPRESSCARD EV-DO Rev A (item 260130852168 end time 20-Jul-07 22:25:19 EDT)

With data rates in Canada so expensive, it's almost not worth getting one. Telus does have an attractive $15/day unlimited internet, or $75/mo for 10 days of unlimited internet + $15/day after that.

Ooo I just thought of an awesome business plan, set up my MBP to transmit internet, sell access to fellow commuter train riders for like $2 a person, that would partially offset my costs. Hehe.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With data rates in Canada so expensive, it's almost not worth getting one. Telus does have an attractive $15/day unlimited internet, or $75/mo for 10 days of unlimited internet + $15/day after that.
The company I work for pays for my data card, so I don't care. Also I usually "borrow" wireless from wherever I can find it, but there are times where I can't so I need the data card.

Our company is largely a Rogers shop, but we have a Bell account as well so I might go for EVDO. The coverage is better for EVDO (vs. Rogers HSDPA) as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
128 vs 256

2. Does anybody have any opinions about 128MB of video RAM versus 256MB video RAM? I don't do graphics or anything and only occasionally play video games.

Thanks in advance.
If you are not a hard core pro-application person or gamer, the 128 should do you fine.
There are certain applications and games that run much better with the 256mb card, however the $600 premium is one you may not want to pay if you do not forsee yourself diving into the world of pro-applications (like motion, or 3d programs) or gaming at high quality and high resolutions.

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my MBP last week. No express card yet, but I'm working on that. A couple of observations:

- This machine boots FAST! OS X boots in under 15 seconds. Windows XP (I have boot camp) boots in under 30 seconds. Not to mention that it feels fast overall.

- The screen is amazing!

I think it's the best notebook that Apple has made yet.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.