·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Anyone ever use this item? Any reviews? The only thing I find funny is that is says Windows specifically (mfgs site too), not Mac.
That compatibility note likely refers to the software that comes with it, not the hardware.

Also, if a manufacturer does not have a Mac testing lab or Mac-knowledable people, they won't promote Mac compatibility since they have no way to evaluate it.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Don't cheap out and get USB, that's all I have to say. At MacDoc.com they have 250GB Firewire drives for $155, yes a far cry from $80 but firewire drives are just so much better than USB drives. For one thing, most firewire enclosures allow the hard drive to go to sleep after inactivity so your they tend to last longer. With USB it's sorta hit and miss depending on the chipset inside. Your drives either don't last as long or you just have to turn it off when you're not using it anymore. Of course if you do backups overnight it won't turn off...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't cheap out and get USB, that's all I have to say. At MacDoc.com they have 250GB Firewire drives for $155, yes a far cry from $80 but firewire drives are just so much better than USB drives. For one thing, most firewire enclosures allow the hard drive to go to sleep after inactivity so your they tend to last longer. With USB it's sorta hit and miss depending on the chipset inside. Your drives either don't last as long or you just have to turn it off when you're not using it anymore. Of course if you do backups overnight it won't turn off...
I strongly second this. I have 2 rock solid FW drives from MacDoc and have no regrets buying them. They are bootable, use the Oxford 911 chipset, use both FW and USB2 (for those computers without FW) and have daisy chaining capability.

USB2 is faster on paper, but in real time FireWire is faster. It's the results that count. Don't cheap out, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, firewire is nice, but I bought one of these units anyway.

Just a note to any purchasers, maybe print off a copy of the webpage and take it in - no one knew about the reduced price and I had to find it on the webpage on one of their instore laptops to show them.

Had to be erased/partitioned to show up on the desktop, but otherwise seems to work okay - made a clone of my iBook drive on it this afternoon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had to be erased/partitioned to show up on the desktop, but otherwise seems to work okay - made a clone of my iBook drive on it this afternoon.
Are on the lastest version of tiger 10.4.10? I have the 500GB version of this external hard drive and it was fine with 10.4.9 but as soon as I updated to 10.4.10 the drive isn't recognised by os x. (it works fine with windows xp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts