Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
not really funny, since it ain't true.

but the guys a sketch comedian, so screw him.

Phil

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Bjornbro wrote:
I guess it would be funny if what he said was true. I never had any of those problems before, so I can't relate.

I can. I had the "pleasure" of using an iMac running Mac OS 8.x (I can't recall which) back in 1999-2000, and I really wasn't impressed. It crashed frequently, and half the time the only way I could reboot it was by pulling the plug from the wall. It's a good thing the office I was in was windowless, since I would've been tempted to throw the iMac out a window (using the handle, of course).

Grrr.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,140 Posts
That's a hilarious sketch. And for those people who haven't encountered some of those problems, hey, count your lucky stars.... What he didn't say was why most video editing is done on a Mac - because on a PC its even more hell. That doesn't mean Mac editing isn't problematic though.

·
Banned
14,046 Posts
Most of the stuff he said was OS X related and I am still only testing/playing with OS X.

I'm still not convinced that OS X is ready for prime time.

It was funny though. He is an editor and he did edit the entire piece on a Mac.

Sometimes it's healthy to laugh at yourself. Why do you think mirrors were invented? :D

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
macspectrum wrote:
Most of the stuff he said was OS X related

I'd have to say it was split fairly evenly. For example, the "useless interupt key" works in OS X, but rarely in OS 9, while the Dock Menu can be a little annoying (but only if you click the exact wrong spot on the dock, or click and hold too long).

Just keep in mind that OS X is a different OS. We all remember thinking different right?

jfpoole wrote:
I had the "pleasure" of using an iMac running Mac OS 8.x (I can't recall which) back in 1999-2000, and I really wasn't impressed. It crashed frequently, and half the time the only way I could reboot it was by pulling the plug from the wall.

That would have been os 8.5 or .6 (not a huge difference between them really). At the time I was fairly impressed with OS 8.6, since I basically upgraded from System 7.6, but looking back it was one of the more unstable systems I can remember Apple putting out. If there was ever an OS that needed its extensions managed carefully it was 8.6. (although, I could always shut mine off from normally, without needing to pull the plug).

--PB

·
Banned
14,046 Posts
RtC wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I think OSX is ready for prime time and has been ready for a long time, but the "older" Mac users fail to see the advantage of going from my system to another. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been testing OS X, but only since X.2 and onwards for compatibility, functionality and stabiltiy with respect to the Graphics, DTP, pre-press and printing markets - my client base.

I know the day will come when OS X will be ready for these high pressure environments, but I just don't think it is the time yet.

I have a b/w G3/500, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, MacRadeon 7000 to run my test environement for OS X. It still is sluggish compared to 9 on the same platform.

Utitlies for OS X are begnning to emerge in numbers and hopefully with the maturation of Safari along with Quark finally coming over to X, it might make it more viable.

There are other issues for clients using NT / 2000 servers where OS X clients seem to lose connections. Plus I need to check how well the PostScript files are being created using InDesign 2. Plus many clients still have legacy devices such a imagesetters, colour proofers; devices which are expensive and cannot be readily replaced at the drop of an hat.

It's like throwing a stone in a still pond. There are many ripples.

I'm not afraid of OS X. I'm just cautious for my client base, as they depend on my recommendations to keep them profitable which means not increasing their technical support hours.

Clients that make their living from their Macs as workstions need to know what the ROI is for migrating to OS X. If they are to further stop using Quark and migrate to InDesign, then there is another large investment and again, ROI comes into play.

We all have our opinions and our ideas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.