Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( *SIGH* :(

Well, business is business and I have to buy a PC. I will be using it strictly as a cash register to run QuickBooks POS - the best retail solution (after a lot of research) for my needs. The question I have of my peers who have used or are using PCs is, which brand should I buy and where should I buy it?

Go to (gulp) Future Shop because they have an easy return policy?

Buy online from (gulp) Dell?

Get a no-name from a Mom 'n Pop computer store?

If you look at the specs I really don't need a killer machine. Todays slowest new PCs should work very well for me. I've asked around and I have my own opinion, but I wanna know what my bretheren think. I figure we work smarter not harder so if you had to buy a PC for this use what would it be? I realize this is a Mac forum, but can you help a brotha out?

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Watch out with Futureshop. If your computer ever breaks they are terrible at getting it fixed. My mom, my brother and I have all had problems with Future Shop. Go with a used PC
Once you buy it it loses half its value witihn a month or two anyway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry to Hear your buying a PC for your POS Application. Did you check out the info I sent you on Shopkeeper? It's awesome and runs on Filemaker pro so it can be used on either a MAC or PC Platform.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Did you consider getting a Windows emaluator. I think I would find a mom and pop and go with them, or there are a lot of reconditioned ones for a fraction of the cost. Just a thought. Sorry to hear you are thinking of moving to the dark side. As I have to work with PC at school they seem more of a headache then any good sometime, but that could just be the network they are on as well.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I've bought a few PC's at work, mostly Dells, and they seem to work for what we use them for... MS-Office and dumb mainframe terminals. I've also seen a few Compaqs and HPs. I don't think any brand is much better than another. I'd say stay away from Apple's enemy, Dell, if you can. I don't really have too much trust in non-brand name PCs... someone bought some CEMTECH machines at work and the HDs in a few of them had to be replaced.

Hey, what about an IBM machine, at least it's one of Apple's partners? Don't know if they are pricier.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Compaq has some good business models, as does HP. Oh wait, The New HP has some good models.

If you do look at them, DO NOT get the comsumer models (Compaq Presarios or HP Pavilions), spend the extra and get one of the business models, such as a Compaq EVO desktop. They cost more, but they use far better components and have way better warranty/support.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a forward I sent to SOLID, for the rest of you to see:

I am very tied to QuickBooks (for Mac, I've been using it since 1992) and the good news is QuickBooks POS software is an independent application, but must have QuickBooks Pro to incorporate the data, which I was told, will be compatible with the new version soon to be released for OS X! And, with the easy PC - Mac networking capability Jaguar affords me, I'll be able to have the best of both worlds. Not to mention, the system in a box is made up of more than the software. It includes the cash drawer (which opens at the conclusion of every transaction), the printer which is very fast and totally customizable (from item descriptions) and the bar code scanner. It will be a very seamless integration between hardware and software, just what we appreciate about our Macs.

Who knows, maybe we'll see a Mac version of the POS system, because of the renewed interest by Intuit (and it's assimilation of MYOB) in Mac and Jaguar.

By the way, I won't be replacing any of my Macs with this machine, it will simply be another addition to the family. The HP Winlon you see in my signature belongs to my wife to use for AutoCAD (c'mon AutoDesk, get with the program and make a version to run on OS X and take advantage of those Macs with dual processors).

·
Registered
77 Posts
We have found that Shop Keeper works very well for us. It has a cash drawer function, bar code scanning etc. We had used Filemaker Pro for so many years that having a POS based on Filemaker was almost a must.

Using Filemaker as the application makes it very easy to fileshare. We have the POS system hosted on a Bondi IMAC and it runs like a charm.

We use MYOB as our accounting package and importing the data from Shop Keeper works quite well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
tigerdirect.ca
they have great deals

WAIT A SECOND, THIS POAST IS FIVE YEARS OLD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts