ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my situation.

Yesterday in the early afternoon I received an email from a corporation that agreed to a proposal I had made to them a couple of days earlier.

I was not home and read the email in the gmail account of Apple Mail on my iPhone 8 Plus.

When I got home about an hour later, I turned on my MacBook Pro and checked my email.

There was no sign of the email in Apple Mail at all.

I pulled my phone from my pocket to reread the email and it was still there. A half hour later when I checked my mail again, it had vanished from my iPhone as well.

I then went to my gmail webmail account and there was no record of that email there either.

As this is an important email, I would like to know if I can recover it. I suspect now that the email was somehow removed from both my devices by the sender. Is that possible?

And if it is, can that email be recovered from my Apple mail account?

I would appreciate any assistance in solving this puzzling situation.

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts
Don, that is the only reason I still use POP on my main Shaw account.

Are there any other eMails missing? I ask as it may be possible that the provider may have had a glitch and the eMail in question had not yet made it onto the back-up used to restore your account. Anyways it's just a thought.

·
Premium Member
15,388 Posts
I would appreciate any assistance in solving this puzzling situation.
Is it available in your iCloud email stuff if you use it, which I gather you do.

Just a maybe as iCloud seems to screw most usable things up pretty well. :-(

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do use iCloud, but not for the email in question, that I identified as a gmail account in my original post and I tried there online as well with no luck.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
You could try an advanced search in gmail for the email address in question. I don't know that it includes the trash though (or whatever it's called for gmail) so you might need to check that manually. If threaded messages are turned on, and you started to reply, it may also be in drafts?

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Gmail seems to put everything I don't want to save in the Archive folder. But I suppose you have already checked that........ Just sayin'..... ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Is it possible the sender recalled the message?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Is it even possible to recall a message that has been read?

Don, I second the suggestion to look in their Archive folder.

Cheers
With gmail yes

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still trying to find that email. I tried Time Machine, but since I only connect my MacBook Pro once a day for backup it is no where to be found.

Since this email once existed on my hard drive, there must be some way to access it. While Gmail removed if from the server, should it not still exist somewhere on my hard drive? All I know is the name of the person who sent the email and the email address of the department of the corporation that sent it.

There has to be a way!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Contacted Apple iPhone support, they know of no way to retrieve it on my iPhone, even once it was read. It never was opened on my MacBook Pro. The saga continues.

·
Premium Member
15,388 Posts
That is not right, see post #12 above.

That only applies if the SENDER was using the option with their gmail or maybe Microsoft Outlook account and I believe it must be done within about maybe 60 seconds max I believe after sending. And even then it's not 100% reliable.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That only applies if the SENDER was using the option with their gmail or maybe Microsoft Outlook account and I believe it must be done within about maybe 60 seconds max I believe after sending. And even then it's not 100% reliable.
If you read the link you will find that it can be undone up to 24 hours later and is controlled by the sender who must set the details and time frames prior to sending the email. I too thought this was a very limited option. Turns out it is not and is not restricted to gmail. There are other programs out there that will allow people to retract emails with ease and with plenty of time from sending the mail. It is something I knew nothing about until I began some research and it is truly scary that folks can do this as the potential for nefarious purposes are many.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
This is interesting for a number of reasons. Not the least of which because it turns the accepted 'snail' maxim that the letter belongs to the addressee/recipient not to the sender, on its head.

if the sender can unsend, then, ipso facto, the sender owns the message, which is the exact opposite of accepted practice with 'snail'.

Seems to me, SINC, the most parsimonious solution will be to contact the sender in order to clarify the matter. YMMV!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts