Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I need a new health, my old one fell apart and I lost it a few years ago. I dont want to get the new health card with the picture, because I dont want to have to pay every 5 years for a new card with new picture that isnt even valid as photo id. Can I still get the old style of health card with no picture on it? Was I given wrong info about needing to get a new health card every 5 years or so like a drivers license?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
You have no choice. the "new" health card is now "the" health card.

A real pain to get because of the id requirements.
They do expire, mine is 5 years, my daughters is 4 years and my sons is 3 years. Go figure.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what I though, another cash grab by the government.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
As I understand it, the only people who can ask to see your Health Card are health service providers (i.e. your doctor, hospital, clinic, etc).

Your Health Card SHOULD only be used for medical services, but most places will accept it to confirm your identity and age. My wife uses hers all the time for that purpose since she doesn't have a driver's license.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Since I don't drive, it is a form of identification. Name, photo and address on the back. Pain to get but handy to have.
I could consider getting a driver's license in any case. Always good to be able to legally drive when the occasional need arises. :)

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Lars, the point of not having one is that I hate to drive. Besides, I've driven illegally before and if an emergency arose, I'd drive again. Few cops would ticket you if it were an emergency. Also, it costs money to have one, non? Don't you have to renew it every 5 years?
I'll stick with my HC thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I can confirm that you do NOT pay for the Ontario photo health card. Yes it expires every 5 years and it is a pain in the backside to have to deal with that, but since your doctor should be asking to view the physical card every time you go to see him, you really should get a new one.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Lars, the point of not having one is that I hate to drive. Besides, I've driven illegally before and if an emergency arose, I'd drive again. Few cops would ticket you if it were an emergency. Also, it costs money to have one, non? Don't you have to renew it every 5 years?
I'll stick with my HC thanks.
Yikes! Not to derail this thread, but with that attitude, I would hope the cops would come down hard on you. Hate to drive, but drive illegal when needed? Don't want to spend money on a driver's license? Just what we need - uninsured, untrained drivers on the road. Do us all favour and get a driver's license. Or stay off the roads completely, emergency or not.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
take a pill buddy. if I need to get someone to the hospital I will.
Who says I'm untrained?
Besides, I've seen some of you "trained" drivers and nearly been hit by them.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I've found that most people who have had to get the new photo health card recognize how much of a pain it is and accept it as id.
Beyond that, baffle them with BS. If you keep them on the defensive they usually cave in. Not the best solution but it works in a pinch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts