Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
well I noticed this here in Toronto from Environment Canada:

..Heavy snowfall warning in effect..
Today..Snow. Wind northeast 30 km/h shifting to northwest late this afternoon. High minus 2.
Tonight..Snow ending overnight. Total accumulation 15 to 20 cm. Wind northeast 30 km/h. Temperature steady near minus 2.
Monday..Cloudy with sunny periods. Wind west 30 km/h shifting to southwest late in the day. High 2.

What could be better for the SANTA CLAUS parade today!!!!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iJay:
well I noticed this here in Toronto from Environment Canada:

..Heavy snowfall warning in effect..
Today..Snow. Wind northeast 30 km/h shifting to northwest late this afternoon. High minus 2.
Tonight..Snow ending overnight. Total accumulation 15 to 20 cm. Wind northeast 30 km/h. Temperature steady near minus 2.
Monday..Cloudy with sunny periods. Wind west 30 km/h shifting to southwest late in the day. High 2.

What could be better for the SANTA CLAUS parade today!!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, I woke shortly... Finally! The landscape looks like a large iBook casing. It's about time.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
RtC, it's sunny here in St.John's and I am going to mow the lawn one last time today. This evening we have 10cm of snow on the way, followed by freezing rain and then 30mm of rain. Strange weather for this time of year, at least here in St. John's.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Ottawa has a heavy snow warning in effect too. 20-30 cm by noon tomorrow.

And then (annoyingly enough) it will all melt away over the week as the temps stay at +6 between Tuesday and Friday.

Man...this weather is not normal. The weather hasn't been "normal" here in many years. Sheesh...and people still bitch and moan about Kyoto.
:rolleyes: Just sign the bloody thing and get it over with.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
RtG, God will get you for that last statement. Actually, last year we only received about 10 feet of snow, which is below the average of 13 feet per year. This is why we were a bit short of water this summer, which was also the driest and hottest since the 1880's. Go figure. What helps us is that we will get a foot of snow, followed by an inch of rain. This keeps the mounds of snow down............at least it did until two years ago. We shall see.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
We had our Santa parade in 16C weather. It was not the same seeing people in shorts waiting for Santa to ride down Water Street in his sleigh. Still, may God helps us if the gods of winter are angered by such an abomination. We shall see.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Here in Fredericton, NB, snow has already hit the ground big time, and powerful winds are making the out doors a freezing place to be. Close to -20 or lower with winds. I personally hate winter, but what can you do. It's a real blizzard here.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Lars, I agree with you re hating winter (however Fredericton is a beautiful city in October). When I came to Newfoundland after five years in the state of Georgia, my body went into shock that first winter. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Overcast and 13C here right now. No rain at the moment, but if this is November then it won't be long before we start getting wet. Last night it went down to about 8C...kind of chilly...I may have to harvest the pineapples a bit early this year. :D

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Do NOT go there, Macnutt. The storm that was over TO, headed east to dump on RichtheChemist. The storm, according to the Environment Canada radar 20 minutes ago, is intensifying and is now about three times the size of Nova Scotia............and it is headed our way. The only thing that might (we hope) spare St.John's from 50cm of snow overnight is the warmer north Atlantic air mass off the island part of Newfoundland and Labrador. It is hard to imagine the North Atlantic warmer than the air temps, but this may turn everything to rain after only about 10cm of snow. I have seen the predicted 30mm of rain come in Jan and Feb. and wash away 2 feet of snow that is mounded up along the roads. We shall see.

·
Registered
993 Posts
About 10 cm on the ground in Peterborough as of 1 pm and more falling. Already had a snowball fight with my daughter. Should be taking my xc skiis to school tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Yep...I may just have to get those pineapples in early. The orange tree could use a little pruning as well. Wait a minute....I see a break in the clouds. It looks as though the sun may come out again. Better get my shades! :cool:

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Macnutt, there is a word in Yiddish that describes what you are doing to the rest of us re the snow, but I shall not use it...............................for now. Be forewarned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
My apologies to Dr.G and all of you. We who reside in LotusLand just like to rub it in once in a while. :D

BTW-you do realise that I was just kidding about the pineapples, don't you? ;)

The orange tree, and the sunny breaks however, are quite real. :cool:

I'll stop now.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
Macnutt, I once convinced someone from Sannich, BC (sp?) that we had spaghetti trees here in Newfoundland, so pineapples are not all that inconceivable. Such is Life.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I actually grew up in Saanich BC....and some of the people around there are pretty easily convinced, believe me. One guy out there has a UFO landing pad in his back yard because he's convinced that aliens are coming and will need a place to land....and a whole bunch of Saanich residents were somehow convinced that the NDP would "improve" life in BC, so they voted for them in large numbers. :eek:

Yep...it's the land of "fruits and nuts" all right.

Well, gotta go....I have to plug in the block heater so my car won't freeze up tonight. Whoops! I forgot! My car doesn't have a block heater! None of the cars sold out here do! :D

I really will stop now. ;)

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Hasn't happened yet RTC! I suppose the manufacturers would install block heaters if the cars were destined for an area where freezing was a problem. But they don't. Because it's not.

When I was just a lad, my Dad taught me to always look for an electrical pug hanging out of the grill of a car when I was shopping for a used vehicle. "That means it came from somewhere back east" he would say "and THAT means it is probably rusty".

Our cars don't have electrical plugs and there are no receptacles in the parking lots anyway, so what would be the point?

Besides...with all those extension cords everywhere one of us might trip and spill a bushel of freshly-picked pineapples all over the place. :D

(ohhh, I'm gonna pay for that one!)

As for your PS about which is the best coast....I guess that's why all of the millionaires live out on the east coast? And that's also why land values out there are the highest in all of Canada, right?

No...wait a minute....that's the
WEST coast ! :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.