Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

I just scored a free Color Mac Classic. :)

4K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  RobTheGob 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone want a free Color Mac Classic. :)

Looks in good working order, I'll try it out later... though I'll need the ol' serial keyboard & mouse to do anything with it. Don't have those yet. Maybe they'll turn up in another box.

So... what can I do with a Colour Classic besides marvel at it - and maybe learn how to use a Mac again? :)

The tiny screen is so cute. :baby:

EDIT: I can't seem to do anything with it. It's going to recycling unless one of you wants it and will pay for its shipping. (Free, just shipping.)

If no response before thursday noon-ish, it's gone.

#2 ·
I still have my Color Classic (upgraded with a 50 mhz DayStar accelerator card) stored in pristine condition in its original box in the basement. My first Mac, such a sweet little machine. I'll never part with it, even though it's pretty much useless these days - outside of being a little work of art to be taken out and admired once in a while. :)

#3 ·
The younger folk here may not even know what you're talking about. :lmao:

Apple was then very picky with displays. Hence while it had a tiny screen it was the best CRT available--a Sony Trinitron, which is why it cost an arm and a leg.
Only later did they start using non-Trinitron stuff.

#4 ·
The cost of displays was obscene. I remember being offered a large colour monitor for my IIsi at more than $5,000. I opted for a 21 inch Ikegami greyscale on a two monitor set-up for $1,900. I would have to drag the items to the tiny Apple Monitor for colour proofing.

#5 ·
where did you get it? I hope my dad didn't get fed up and started giving some of my stuff away thats still sitting in his office in Red Deer! I had a Color classic in his office...

#7 ·
Lucky you, i have a black and white Classic sitting here and running still, but i am looking all over for a color one so i can play with Claris work and the old Word and my screen saver "Neko" the little kitty? anyone remember the Neko? or maybe after dark screen saver with the flying toasters.

#9 ·
Lucky you, i have a black and white Classic sitting here and running still, but i am looking all over for a color one so i can play with Claris work and the old Word and my screen saver "Neko" the little kitty? anyone remember the Neko? or maybe after dark screen saver with the flying toasters.
"Flying out of the suuuuuun! The smell of toast is in the aiiiiir.
When there's a job to be doooooone - the flyyyy-ing toaster will be theeeeere!
And it's flap! Flap! Flap! Now help is on the way!This vic'try song they si-iing;
Gleaming angels of loooove - on mighty toaster wiiiings!!"

And that was After Dark 3! :) I remember the original which was nothing more than a pretty city skyline. V2 or V3 had "Lunatic Fringe!" Remember that one? :D

Hey - if you want it, let me know. I really don't have much use for it....

#15 ·
Looks in good working order, I'll try it out later... though I'll need the ol' serial keyboard & mouse to do anything with it. Don't have those yet. Maybe they'll turn up in another box.

So... what can I do with a Colour Classic besides marvel at it - and maybe learn how to use a Mac again? :)

The tiny screen is so cute. :baby:
Nice find.

I always wanted a colour classic but was never able to locate one, I had to settle for a SE/30 that served me and my family reliably till 4 years ago when my mom wanted to do more on the internet than just email people.

speaking of old games anybody remember Glider Pro?

Laterz :)

#17 ·
Yeah I have mine stored in its original box downstairs. Along with the Apple Ergonomic keyboard.

It was/is such a sweet machine from a design standpoint. I loved how I could pull the logic board out whenever I wanted without having to get a screwdriver.

The monitor was amazing... low resolution to be sure, but the colour was awesome in such a small package.

I eventually replaced mine with an LC475 (Quadra 605) which was replaced by a Powermac 4400. Neither of those machines was as elegant as that Colour Classic.

#22 ·
If you're handy with a soldering iron (and brave) there are directions available on the Web for installing a motherboard from a much newer Mac (LC 580, I think - 33 MHz 68040 processor) in a Color Classic. The catch is that the new board doesn't support the CC's oddball video resolution - you have to modify the video to 640 x 480. This involves cutting traces on one of the boards and soldering in jumpers. Not for the faint of heart, but it works. The resulting computer is a lot more powerful than the original, but pretty pathetic compared to even an original iMac. Still, it was a fun project - I did it successfully a few years ago.

Here's a site with lotsa links, if anyone is interested:

http://www.mac512.com/macwebpages/cclassicu.htm

The Color Classic modders community is large and fanatical.

#23 ·
I'm pretty sure you'd want a 575 (or 550) motherboard. I recall that the 580 won't work.

Also - instead of doing the mod that requires soldering, you can install a system enabler that will allow the 640x480 (at 60 hz instead of 66 hz?) mode to work in the CC. The only issue with this is that it needs to be installed *before* the donor motherboard is installed in the CC...

I've got a PPC 601 adapter board that will install in place of the 68040 on a 575. This is an easy way to get a PowerPC Color Classic!

#24 · (Edited)
Well, Calgary is pretty close to home. It wouldn't cost much to have me ship it to you. ;)

BTW, I plugged it in without mouse or keyboard and flipped the power switch in the back - nothing happened. Either I'm missing something or it won't turn on. So it might need the new board anyway. :)

Pity I couldn't swipe the cool, tiny Trinitron and rig it into a new box with a VGA plug! :) A cool case mod with a high-quality CRT! :D

#29 ·
Very funny. :heybaby:

I'm referring to beyond the very basics of "click once" vs "click twice" - I'm talking about getting programs to run fullscreen, renaming folders, little bit tougher stuff. (When I had a very-part-time job at Future Shop some years ago, someone had renamed the hard drive to something dirty, but I could NOT figure out how to rename it!)

As fun as the Classic might be, and I still have my 15-year-old floppies with the original Shufflepuck, a G3 or better would be much more "useful" and relevant... newer version of MacOS too.

First one who wants it and will either pick up (close to Red Deer now, 40mins from Edmonton in 1wk.) or pay for shipping, it's yours!

#31 ·
That's too bad - these are nice little machines. If I was closer - I could probably be talked into taking it, just to see if the case plastics were worth keeping...

They do attract bids on eBay - but that takes time and if you can't demonstrate it running, it will likely sell for very little.

It's still on my list of my favourite Macs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.