Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want one, but I am going to wait a bit longer.

The LED screen with glossy finish is amazing. I set the MBP and the MacBook next to it to full brightness and the MacBook looked positively dim.

Up to this point I have always considered the MacBook screen to be very bright (and awesome).

The new MBP launches apps fast and the general feel of it is super snappy.

Lovely machine, but I want Leo for free so I have to wait. :(

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was looking at the new 15" MBPs earlier today too at the Eaton Centre Apple store. I'm thinking about getting one, maybe closer to the end of the summer depending on finances. All but one of the 15" MBPs I tried out were the 2.4 GHz models, and not the 2.2 I'd be buying; the premium for the larger hard drive and the extra 200 MHz pushes a new laptop into unaffordability. For a 2.2 GHz machine, it's a lot of money even with the free ipod deal combined with the student discount and there's nothing wrong with my 15" Powerbook, which I bought in August of 2005 when I went back to school. The amount of change in the Mac laptops since then has really been impressive.

-Rob K.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have a PB too. I think I can live with it a bit longer.

BTW, the Amiga 2000 was one of the best computers ever. All I could talk my mom into buying me was a 500. I was pretty lucky to get that in retrospect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Whats apples policy when it comes to upgrades (e.g tiger to leopard)??
If you buy a macbook pro soon, with tiger, and leopard came out a few weeks later, do you have to pay the full $$ to upgrade?

-C

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They usually have a 30 day 'amnesty.' So if it comes out Oct 31, any purchase of a new Mac in Oct will qualify for a free copy. You will have to pay for shipping though (probably $12 or so).

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
One thing to remember is that has been priced at $129 US which will probably be either $139 or $149 up here. Not nearly as bad as the price for Windows upgrades and you will be receiving a full version.

Family packs for Tiger were very reasonable. I think $299.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The new laptops really are nice, but it could come down to the choice between buying one, doing something I've been trying to do for a couple of years now but has kept getting bumped by schedule conflicts with work, or putting some savings in the bank. I'll have to wait and see. The Powerbook has plenty of useful life left in it. It'll get an upgrade to 10.5 when the time comes.

Regarding the Amiga 2000 - I agree, and thats the reason why I used it as a user ID I was kind of surprised it wasn't taken already. I still have the 2000 I used for many years, and I really liked using that computer. There are a number of things that I'd like to see Apple adopt from the hardware design and from the operating system.

-Rob K.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I received a new Santa Rosa, LED backlit MBP as a replacement for my fist generation MBP under Applecare. The difference in quality of screen is amazing. I never really thought my screen was bad, but it's night and day. Also, I'm looking at 4:45 left in the battery meter as I type now; there is a significant battery savings as well.

The difference in terms of speed between a 2.2Ghz Intel machine and a 1.5 or even 1.67 PowerPC will be very, very notisable.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I received a new Santa Rosa, LED backlit MBP as a replacement for my fist generation MBP under Applecare. The difference in quality of screen is amazing. I never really thought my screen was bad, but it's night and day. Also, I'm looking at 4:45 left in the battery meter as I type now; there is a significant battery savings as well.

The difference in terms of speed between a 2.2Ghz Intel machine and a 1.5 or even 1.67 PowerPC will be very, very notisable.
But when is that time estimate ever accurate? :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I can wait an extra second for an app to load. I only use the PB for surfing and writing so it will last me as long as I want it to.

The biggest reason for me to upgrade is the 8600. I would like to run boot camp and play through Oblivion one more time.

·
Registered
990 Posts
But when is that time estimate ever accurate? :D
True, but I can compare the 3.30 I use to get on my old MBP to the new one, and conclude that there's a significant improvement. Realistically, it's probably another 45 minutes for me, mostly because I can turn down the brightness significantly.

I can wait an extra second for an app to load. I only use the PB for surfing and writing so it will last me as long as I want it to.
Okay, but trust me, that's not the only place you see a difference between a PB and a MBP, even when just writing, surfing and emailing. After one day with my original MBP, and I basically use it for those same purposes, I couldn't go back to a G4 machine, and had to update my desktop as well.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
They usually have a 30 day 'amnesty.' So if it comes out Oct 31, any purchase of a new Mac in Oct will qualify for a free copy. You will have to pay for shipping though (probably $12 or so).
This 'amnesty' is usually 7 days. ($9.95 U.S.)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True, but I can compare the 3.30 I use to get on my old MBP to the new one, and conclude that there's a significant improvement. Realistically, it's probably another 45 minutes for me, mostly because I can turn down the brightness significantly.

Okay, but trust me, that's not the only place you see a difference between a PB and a MBP, even when just writing, surfing and emailing. After one day with my original MBP, and I basically use it for those same purposes, I couldn't go back to a G4 machine, and had to update my desktop as well.
I write notebook reviews on the side so I get a variety of fast notebooks passing through my place every couple of weeks or so. If I did not have good self control I would be broke by now. :)

I know the MBP is faster. So was the last one. So was the MacBook I had before this PB.

My other mac is an Intel (I should get a sticker made for my G4). Maybe that is why I don't feel a pressing need to upgrade right now.

Enjoy your MBP it is surely the nicest notebook on the market right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts