Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried posting this last night, but ehMac was down and I couldn't post.

Monday night, our car was broken into. Window was smashed, and a bunch of stuff stolen, including my iPod (which was hooked up to a car kit, out of view, in the glove box). What's most disturbing? I called the police yesterday afternoon and had to leave a message. I got a call at 11pm saying they'll call us today sometime. I didn't even get to report it yet. That means I can't file my insurance claim yet. And THAT means my car is sitting in downtown Toronto overnight with no window. "Why yes officers, I'd love to have the rest of my car stolen. Thank you!". :mad:

Anyway, if anyone comes across a 20GB Color iPod for sale with a bunch of rock/punk music on it, let me know so I can go kill the f-ers who stole my stuff.

A7

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speaking of which... I finally got to speak to the police (only a mere 18 hours after calling... gee I feel safe now!) and they have asked for the serial number as well. Now it's question time...

I don't have the receipt (the iPod was purchased with a computer, which has since been sold and I provided them with the receipt since the iPod was out of warranty anyway). And I don't have the box anymore (ironically I threw it out just last month during spring cleaning).

So does anyone know another way to get the serial number? Can I find it in iTunes somehow?

Thanks.
A7

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
The store where you bought it might have it on file still, you can check with them.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Slightly off topic...

If you live and park overnight downtown Toronto DO NOT lock your car. Remove all valuables when you park.

My daughter has had her windows smashed in numerous times before she was told by both the police and insurance company to keep at least one door unlocked. It's crackheads breaking in. They are looking for anything to sell for money. Unless you enjoy having windows replaced constantly, heed the advice. If someone really wants to steal the whole car they will, locked or not locked.

PS: the last time her window got smashed was in the middle of a snow storm. Her car was filled with broken glass with snow on top. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
My daughter has had her windows smashed in numerous times before she was told by both the police and insurance company to keep at least one door unlocked.
Interesting. I wonder if the insurance companies will spin that one..."Oh, you didn't lock your door, and the car was stolen? Sorry, your policy is void."

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Insurance companies can rot in hell too. :mad: :mad: :mad:

My car insurance is saying they won't cover the contents of the car. Since the glass repair is less than my deductible, they are not even filing a claim. I have to pay for the glass repair on my own. My home insurance (who is clearly going to argue that they won't cover the radio in my car that was broken in the process) is going to hit me with a deductible too. So I'm out the $300 deductible PLUS the $300 glass repair. Sigh. What is this world coming to.

A7

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a few friends that are cops in different cities all over Canada. I hate to tell you this but a B&E on a car is extremely low priority. One of the reasons being that you generally have to catch the criminal in the act in order to get an arrest. I'm not saying that is doesn't suck that you had your iPod stolen to, I'd want blood as well. But the reality for cops is there are much higher priorities. Unfortunately when there is domestic violence, stabbings, rapes and worse, your stolen iPod will fall lower on the urgency scale.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
To reduce the deductibles on those policies, you have to pay more up front. Sometimes it's worth it, but obviously it still benefits the insurance companies.

You can also reduce your annual fees by increasing your deductibles, although I don't really see the point of that.

You should still see what the home policy answer is in this case.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a few friends that are cops in different cities all over Canada. I hate to tell you this but a B&E on a car is extremely low priority. One of the reasons being that you generally have to catch the criminal in the act in order to get an arrest.
I agree completely. I was not expecting someone to come over ASAP for a simple B&E. BUT I would at LEAST expect them to take my information! That was my complaint... they wouldn't even let me REPORT it until 18 hours later!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Having an unlocked car is not an issue with insurance companies, at least with mine it isn't. Leaving your keys in the car is a whole other story.

BTW, after the second break-in my daughter didn't bother to report. It isn't worth the hassle.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Insurance companies can rot in hell too. :mad: :mad: :mad:

My car insurance is saying they won't cover the contents of the car. Since the glass repair is less than my deductible, they are not even filing a claim. I have to pay for the glass repair on my own. My home insurance (who is clearly going to argue that they won't cover the radio in my car that was broken in the process) is going to hit me with a deductible too. So I'm out the $300 deductible PLUS the $300 glass repair. Sigh. What is this world coming to.

A7
Car insurance never covers contents. It SHOULD cover damage to anything that is permanently attached (bolted) to the car, although there may be specific exemptions for stereos in your policy.

Your household insurance would cover lost contents.

Sucks about the deductibles, but without them you'd be paying 50% higher premiums.

·
Registered
466 Posts
On the subject of B&E my story:

My truck was broken into during the day at work and we caught 2 of the 5 as they ran away. They all got off because we could not say we "saw" them break in and breaking "IN" is the crime, not being caught in a car that was broken into. LAWYERS and insurance are both a pox on our lives (actually boils on our a$$es).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts