Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to get one of our die-hard MS IT persons to switch. He has ordered an iBook (12 inch) and a 17" iMac and an iPod. I suggested that he wait for Jan. and MWSF, but he had to spend the money before Dec.31st. He wanted to know if the iPod could be utilized as an external hard drive so that he could move files (e.g., pictures, graphics and mini DV clips) between the two, and I told him that I would ask you folks if this is possible. I think that it is possible, albeit a bit expensive, since he does not listen to any music, and, like me, will not download music that was not paid for. Still, he switched, and I am amazed. He said that he will keep his 6 month old Dell, his one year old IBM and his two year old Gateway in the background, but not out of his office (which looks like a home for PCs). Most of my office is taken up by books. His office is full of technology and maybe a few books.

Still, I have the Power! I can heal the sick and lame.............wait, I shall try it out on one of my dogs who is limping...... it's a miricle!!!!!!! She can now walk!!!!! Oops, she can now walk, but now she can't see. So much for my power of healing. Such is Life. :D

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
I was able to get one of our die-hard MS IT persons to switch.

He wanted to know if the iPod could be utilized as an external hard drive so that he could move files (e.g., pictures, graphics and mini DV clips) between the two, and I told him that I would ask you folks if this is possible. I think that it is possible, albeit a bit expensive, since he does not listen to any music...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, way to go Dr. G.! I bow to your power of persuasion as I have not managed switched anyone.

Second, you most certainly can use your iPod as a hot swappable drive to contain any file you would have on your hard drive.

Third, I'll bet he'll start listening to music or spoken word, what have you. :cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bjornbro, I don't think he is a music person. In fact, he is not a person who tolerates noise. The sound of fans cooling computers is the only sound that he can tolerate in his office. He has actually complained over the volume of my voice when I teach on-campus, even though I am on the second floor and he is up on the fifth floor of the Faculty of Education building. Such is Life.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
He'll love the lack of fan sounds in the iBook and iMac... they are there, just they don't turn on that often...

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The joke on campus is that he would do his best work in an isolation tank. Still, he is a whiz around a PC. I think he wants the challenge to go and see "how the other half lives". We shall see.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
The joke on campus is that he would do his best work in an isolation tank. Still, he is a whiz around a PC. I think he wants the challenge to go and see "how the other half lives". We shall see.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should direct him to the guy who switched for a month in the magazine.... Argh can't remember...
Ahh thats who... the ZDNet anchor, David Coursey..
Theres articles on how he lived it up and loves the Mac...

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have the Power! I can heal the sick and lame............. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Benny Hinn could maybe use you.........OH!, wait!, wrong faith I think . Maybe you could be a switcher too!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Peter, be careful with what you say. Remember, you might still have a pair of killer doxies come to your door, and they won't be delivering breakfast!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Up early again eh Doc

I am trying to convert my brother but he is likes his ugly noisy (It is realy noisy he uses and AMD chip and they run very hot, it sounds like a vaccum) PC box equiped with XP.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clockwork, I shall lay my hands upon his head and get him to "see the light". If not, I can always send the doxies out his way to terrorize him into switching. Either way, I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!

I have to be online early for the teachers who take my web courses and log on at 730-8AM from school.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Remember, you might still have a pair of killer doxies come to your door, and they won't be delivering breakfast!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean, like, I'll BE breakfast?? By the way, the last order didn't just fail to be delivered in 30 minutes, it didn't come at all !! So.even though it's now free, I don't want it anymore. No tip for the doxies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just don't convince him to get the new Power Macs. I haven't heard one with the new fan update yet, but before that they deserved the "Windtunnel" nickname.

greg

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Peter, they delivered it to one Peter Scharman at 1313 Wistful Vista Terrace in Kitchner, ON. He accepted it with grace and gratitude, patted the doxies on the head as a tip, and sent them on their way. Now, if your evil twin brother is living in your house and taking your breakfast, it is not our fault. Put him up in the attic and order again.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> He accepted it with grace and gratitude <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't have been me...wrong personality type! I want my breakfast order, NOW !!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Peter, they are on their way. We've had some snow here in St.John's, so "Mush! You Doxies!!"

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did it again!!!!!!!! A dedicated Dell person heard me out as to why I was considering getting either a 17" iMac or a PowerBook with the SuperDrive. He is getting into video production and heard my reasoning behind either of these two Macs, and decided to go with a 17" iMac. I am on a roll. I shall have to pick up some Apple stock before the latest sales figures hit the media. Maybe Apple should buy me a one minute commercial timeslot on the SuperBowl.

"Computer uses of the world, hear my words.................................."

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
You know Doc...you may actually be the very first person to hit one thousand posts here at ehMac without actually owning a Mac!! :eek: ;)

That's okay....you're heart is definitely in the right place! :cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Macnutt, thank you for your kind thoughts. I have narrowed it down to a 17" iMac and a PowerBook with the SuperDrive. I want to work on digital video editing (nothing professional) and printing off digital photographs. I have a 19" CRT monitor here at home and in my office, and was told that the PB could replace my Dell at home and IBM in my office, but use the monitor. So, I am leaning in that direction. I shall decide in January to buy some Mac then, or wait until the end of the winter semester in mid-April when I would actually have time to use it as I desire. Hopefully, I shall live that long. With an advanced case of Doxieitis, I am not too hopeful. We shall see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts