Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow ehMacians,

I have done the unthinkable. I have installed Windows 2000 on my eMac! Oh, the horror!!! :rolleyes:

In fact, I am writing you this message from within the Virtual PC emulation right now. It's pretty slow, but tolerable...and it is not like I intend to use it a lot.

I installed it so I would have access to work...which is a Windows-only world. Please do not think less of me.

I feel dirty.

Regretfully yours,
VertiGoGo :(

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Do not feel bad that you have to use an inferior product. I use Virtual PC occasionally to run some PC only things (eg. emulators that the mac version sucks, so an emulator in an emulator and it still runs darn fast)
We do not think less of you, well at least I don't ;)

As for feeling dirty? Do not care, just quit Virtual PC and come play some UT, and feel like a true ehMacian again :D

We're kind, we're accepting because of two reasons: 1) We're Canadian (insert Canadian flag waving in wind with anthem playing) and 2) We're mac users (insert Apple logo)

Best of luck with using VPC, and hope your workplace wakes up sometime soon and sees that Macs are a viable option.

·
Registered
363 Posts
using a virtual peecee doesn't make you dirty.

it's having an actual peecee in your house for compatability, gaming, or some other cop out that makes you dirty.

·
Premium Member
30,886 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Best of luck with using VPC, and hope your workplace wakes up sometime soon and sees that Macs are a viable option. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry...I work for the federal government. Our IT department is VERY anti-Mac. Although I found out this evening that the department does own a lone Mac for publishing purposes...and that a lone IT guy is a Mac Geek. Methinks an alliance may soon be formed...so we may attempt a coup. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
The first thing that I thought off when I saw your post was:
That you sold your mac and bought a PC

In which case we would have to kill you.

But after reading your post and seeing that you just installed VPC, its ok.

Just like sniper said, having a PC doesen't make you dirty. However owing a PC does make you dirty.

I would have to agree with that.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sell my Mac!?! Good gravy, no!!!

It took me too long to see the light...I am never going back now.

Now that would be truly unthinkable. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,367 Posts
VGG, luckily you live within the peaceful confines of ehMacLand. Were you a denizen of ugMacLand, they would have stoned you and banished you for three full moons. :D

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VertiGoGo:

Sorry...I work for the federal government. Our IT department is VERY anti-Mac. Although I found out this evening that the department does own a lone Mac for publishing purposes...and that a lone IT guy is a Mac Geek. Methinks an alliance may soon be formed...so we may attempt a coup. :D
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's starting to sound like the same federal department (agency) I'm in, but as I remember it, our lone Mac was a Mac II of some sort and it was decommisioned at least 7 years back. Of course I'm sure most departments are alike.

I don't think there is even a Mac on the standing offer, and I believe I can only purchase what's on standing offer without alot of red tape.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which department/agency are you in? Are you in the NCR?

I am in with Treasury Board...the central agency that most public servants love to hate. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,367 Posts
Kosh, I had the lone Mac (an LCII) in the entire Faculty of Education here at Memorial University of Newfoundland. I was refused an internet connection on this computer (they were willing to buy me a brand new IBM) because they were not sure what hardware, software, servicing, etc, was necessary to make this connection. Thus, I had to use a Wintel machine for email, etc, and the Mac for Hypercard and word processing. Madness!!!

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VertiGoGo:
Which department/agency are you in? Are you in the NCR?

I am in with Treasury Board...the central agency that most public servants love to hate. ;)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, you're in the department us public servants hate, I'm in one of the ones the public usually hates. So you'll understand if I don't advertise. I can probably tell you it's an agency that was converted from a department in Nov. 1999 and we have offices on Heron Road, Fitzgerald Road (a new set of buildings that we leased from Nortel in the Bell's Corners area) and in Hull (Sacre-Couer & Laurier). Does that give you a clue? If not, send an email to me personally and I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
VGG, I can forgive you using VPC, afterall I use it myself and most Mac owners recognize it as a necessary evil.

However, :rolleyes: I can't forgive you for working for the federal gov't, especially that dept.!

You, you FEDERAL CIVIL SERVENT!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ouch, Heart. That hurts deep inside.

We silly servants
work hard for you tax-payer types (keeping in mind that we too are tax-payers). ;)

In any case...if we are gonna start to flame-civil-servants...let's take it to the kitchen.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Federal "civil servants"....hmmm, I wondered what that smell was. :rolleyes:

Ever think of taking up some other line of work that commands a bit more respect among the general public? Like used car salesman or mafia bagman or NDP party leader?

LOL :D

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used to be a radio journalist for stations in Toronto and Montreal...now I am a Spin Doctor. :D

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macnutt:
mafia bagman
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You didn't mention Nortel Networks employee! I think we have a few dozen ex-Nortel employees.

I sorta teased the boss at work, since we leased the Nortel buildings, we can easily switch back and forth between Nortel and the department. (that was before Nortel's share price went below $1.00)

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Hey....I think that Nortel stock is actually above one dollar these days. Maybe there's hope yet?!

(I actually think that company is severely undervalued. Just my opinion)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts