Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, I don't bitch and complain about apple stuff. Even if something is a little iffy (like how hugely lacking mac os mail is)...but I have to say that iphoto is probably one of the worst programs I have ever had to use in my entire computing life.

I'm not even going to bother listing all of the problems I've had with it. I guess what I'd like to know is, am I the ONLY that seems to have problems with it?? Or is everyone long past my loyalty and they have moved onto a different program? And if so, WHAT are these programs!?

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
I tried to like iPhoto but gave up on it partly b/c I need to share my vast photo library with my wife's XP machine via an AirDisk on the network. Its easier for me to just dump the folders up there and view them from either machine without having iPhoto manipulate all the folders it does.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I like iPhoto a lot too, though it's a little sluggish on my mini with 3000+ images in it. On the other hand, your dissatisfaction with iPhoto may be related to your expectations of it. Are you wanting it to be more than it is? I admit it has a lot of limitations, but my own needs are not advanced.

What are your issues?

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
I like iPhoto a lot too, though it's a little sluggish on my mini with 3000+ images in it. On the other hand, your dissatisfaction with iPhoto may be related to your expectations of it. Are you wanting it to be more than it is? I admit it has a lot of limitations, but my own needs are not advanced.
A couple of things you can do to ease the sluggishness:

1. Look up an app called iPhoto Diet.
2. Open a new Library. Rename your existing library #1 or something equally original. Then, when you open iPhoto it will say it cannot find a library and asks you whether you want to create one or choose one. Choose to create one, which is your new library.

In the future iPhoto will open in the library you last used. To work in the other library, quit iPhoto, then restart holding down the Option key: you then navigate to the library you want to use.

My wife operates this way because she has nearly 6,000 images in one library.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
A couple of things you can do to ease the sluggishness:
Thanks for the tips, Pelao. I'll keep them in mind. But I must say, the sluggishness is one of my arguments that my current computer is too slow and I need to upgrade. :D

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
But I must say, the sluggishness is one of my arguments that my current computer is too slow and I need to upgrade.
Of course! Well, I'll ask the administrators to remove my post as it may jeopardize your new Mac.....

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
I had a hard time with iPhoto I think because I have a very large photo library & I used iPhoto Buddy to try to organize the libraries because I don't like how iPhoto organizes your photos. I had several corruptions that moved pictures around or duped thumb nails and no amount of repair would fix them.

I've moved to Light Room which is meant for big libraries and advanced photo editing & I love it. I like the amount of meta data you can add, how you can create collections but also arrange the photos as you would like to on your hard drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts