Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... in my shorts and nobody believes me.

Okay, not quite, but I just picked up my copy of Panther and will be rushing home tonight to install it.

Yipee!

So, I know there are safe and proper procedures when installing software: what do you do?

I know you should backup your info and stuff (my User directory), but should I complete format and reinstall all my software (photoshop, illustrator, games, etc.)? Are there other directories that I should back up or should keep in mind?

TIA!

[ November 03, 2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: mannyp ]

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Just plainly straight update install... formatting is pointless; seems to be a bad habbit around here, unless you love to go back and reset all your preferences, install all your files again from your backup, waste a lot of time, etc. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Nope... don't think so Lars.

It is always a good idea from time to time to do a clean install. Over time your system settings will get changed, convoluted, discombobulated, etc...

It is a good idea to do any OS level install from scratch, and going from 10.2.8 to 10.3 is probably as good a time as any to start fresh.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I won't presume to tell you what you should do, but I can describe what I did, which produced a basically trouble-free Panther installation. My Mac is a Sawtooth G4, 800 MHz processor upgrade, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 8500, Seagate 80 GB hard drive, Pioneer SuperDrive DVD burner, external FireWire 48x CD-R, Epson printer and Canon scanner - all pretty standard stuff.

First, previous to Panther Friday, I backed up my data to a DVD, then cloned my OS X Jaguar installation to a second hard drive (belt AND suspenders!) I also made sure that I had everything I needed on hand - installers for the latest versions of all my apps bought as downloads and the latest updaters for all my major software, for example.

On Panther Friday, I brought home my copy, then re-partitioned my 80 GB HD, thus wiping out everything. I installed OS 9.2.1 from scratch on the designated OS partition, restarted, and ran Software Update until everything was the latest and greatest 9.2.2.

Time for Panther. The install took a couple of hours, but was pretty uneventful.

So, before bedtime on Panther Friday, I was up and running, but with no applications or data.

Next day, I restored all my data files from the DVD-R. I have a policy of re-installing everything from scratch with a clean OS install, so I got busy and pulled out the original CDs. Installed all the major and minor software and updates - tedious, but everything went OK.

As of Saturday, I was basically "back in business." There were a lot of minor details to clean up over the course of the next few days, of course - little things. That clone of my Jaguar install on a separate HDD sure came in handy more than once.

The end result of all that labour is a Panther installation that is essentially trouble-free. I worked any and all bugs out of it days ago. Everything works. It hasn't crashed ot kernel-panic-ed yet (knock on wood!) I won't go on and on about how great Panther is, or how superior to Jaguar - you've read all that elsewhere. I'll just say that it's all true!

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
It is always a good idea from time to time to do a clean install.
I believe you - I format my hard drive every 5 months or so; but if he has recently formatted in the past few months, there's no need to format now just for Panther.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I second Da_jonsey. Whenever installing a new OS its always a good idea to do it fresh if you can. Odds are your older OS has become a bit cluttered and a update could cause more complications then its worth down the road.

Also in the PC world if you change chipsets (sometimes motherboards) then I would also recommend a clean install. Most other PC Hardware should be fine. Then again this is a Mac forum so ill just shut up now :D

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I updated from 10.2.8 and without a hitch, everything worked and I'm up and running. Everyone says "I wiped the drive to prevent an uneventful or bad installation" as if implying that updating rather than wiping and installing, produces a large chance of screwing things up... whatever! ;) I've never wiped clean to install a new OS X version and have never, ever had a problem doing, either.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Personally, I like the "Archive & Install" option. You get an entirely new OS (not upgraded, it moves your previous OS to a new location and installs all the new files) but you get to keep all your user files/preferences/applications.

It may take a few days to migrate all the settings that are normally kept in /system and /library, and to make sure it didn't archive any of your apps, but I find this method results in far fewer issues than an upgrade (which realistically has pretty few anyway) without the hassle of reinstalling.

--PB

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well i have a week old ibook.. would it even make a difference for me to do a clean install? considering my system probally isn't cluttered at all? Sounds like the clean installs are for systems that have loads of info and prefrences over the months or years... atleast thats the impression i get.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Well i have a week old ibook.. would it even make a difference for me to do a clean install? considering my system probally isn't cluttered at all? Sounds like the clean installs are for systems that have loads of info and prefrences over the months or years... atleast thats the impression i get.
Just do the straight upgrade install.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, the new kitten is installed and I gotta say -- <FONT SIZE=+2>IT ROCKS!</FONT>.

Medal of Honor:Spearhead
is now reinstalling as I type this (needed a clean install anyway).

Let's see for the first time, my desktop is now completely empty thanks to the new Finder;

I love the smooth scrolling, not to mention smaller text smoothing point sizes;

I love the little interface changes (icons zooming at you when launched). Not a fan of the green box around the icons when selected though.

Definite snappiness in the interface now -- typing is much nicer. No lag.

Had one small problem with my SnowSaver -- it crashed System Prefs which immediately launched an Apple Bug report window -- very nice! SnowSaver is in beta so I won't use that until it's fixed.

Love the new Menus (horizontal rules rule!)

Éxpose... sigh... I can't imagine living without you and I've only known you for 1 hour. It's a thing of beauty.

Printer and Mail worked right out of the "box".

The new Finder window is wierd, but I think I will get used to it.

That's it for now -- gotta get some Spearhead time in before bed.

EDIT: Just updated to a new Avatar.

[ November 03, 2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: mannyp ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts