Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've calmed down a bit and I figure I would share my horrible experience with this phone and ebay. Well my phone was supposed to be delivered last friday but it didn't arrive until today. Big problem though - instead of an iphone in the package they placed a dirty dish towel in the box. A DIRTY DISH RAG!!! Man, was I fuming. Luckily I paid by paypal and credit card. The UPS driver stuck around while I opened the package so he witnessed the entire thing (he was friendly enough to give me all his info). I have to go through the whole procedure of sending mastercard a letter + all transactions, etc... - huge pain in the ASS!! I do have quite a bit of ebay experience (bought and sold 72 items) and I think I have an eye for spotting a scam but none of the signs were there other than the $570 price I paid for the phone (which isn't insanely cheap). The seller even had a 100% feedback based on 32 transactions.

I'm going to chicago this friday and I plan on buying one straight from the apple store. As much as I love ebay sometimes these types of people ruin the experience.

Any pointers from anyone else who's been in a situation like this with ebay would be appreciated.

Kyle

·
Registered
183 Posts
You said the seller had 100% feedback for 32 transactions, did you check those transactions. Often times I find that deals like this, the 32 transactions are nothing more than buying/selling things that are 99 cents.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Below is the listing. Right now they have quite a few items for sale - mostly junk though. Pretty much all junk but most things sell for around $10 -$150. The other weird thing is they stated they had one other iphone - I wonder if the other guy got his phone??

Brand New Apple iPhone 8 GB - (item 110150049719 end time Jul-16-07 13:10:42 PDT)

I have a question. If I leave him a negative feedback can he not do the same for me??

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This whole situation is killing me. It's not even about the money because I'm pretty sure I will get that back. It's that people like this exist. It really gets to me. Man, how I wish I could meet this person eye to eye. Would that ever be fun!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is it possible that the package was intercepted somewhere along the line and the phone was removed?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an address and phone number. I've called the # about 3 times - no answer.
I do get an answering machine with something sounding like a baby/child saying please leave a message. I will continue to call every so often to see if I can get someone. Not sure what that will do though. They will either hang-up or deny the situation. I think I will get more frustrated that anything positive coming from contacting them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
There's two things that should have raised flags for you.

1. The phone is Buy It Now for $550 when retail is $600.
2. The picture associated with the auction just has a receipt. eBay has clearly stated over and over again before the iPhone went on sale that every auction has to have the seller's username printed on a piece of paper and a picture taken with the item.

All I can say is file a dispute, and do not give negative feedback just yet. You can issue a chargeback, but I'd go the proper way because it can take just as long.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I undestand that retail is $600 but based on the readily available stock for this phone it is not difficult to get it for $550 so this was not a red flag. The pic with a username on it does help but being a graphic designer myself, to photoshop this would be quite easy.

Truthfully I felt good about this transaction - shows what I know.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I undestand that retail is $600 but based on the readily available stock for this phone it is not difficult to get it for $550 so this was not a red flag. The pic with a username on it does help but being a graphic designer myself, to photoshop this would be quite easy.

Truthfully I felt good about this transaction - shows what I know.
I don't mean to rag on you, but where can you buy an iPhone for $550? Or $550 minus the eBay listing and final value fee? And sure you can photoshop the username thing.... but the rules are the rules.

It doesn't show what you know... you just have to wear a tinfoil hat whenever you shop on eBay like some of us. ;)

Well good luck with getting your $$$ back...

1 - 20 of 114 Posts