Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally after many months of ffiddling around !
I got my new Powermac 1.25 dual at 1pm today.
Im pretty happy with it so far.
I had sold my old machine about 3 weeks ago, so was macless for far too long.
but it will soon settle down to busness.
I had to do some of my programming work on my friends XP box without all my usual tools and setup, so it was pretty uncomfortable for a while.
When I checked my email for the first time in 3 weeks I got just an avalanche of mail , about 100 or so which was spam.
I can now officially join the Duallers club.
Now to install and setup and explore my new machine, with its sqeaky clean keyboard, this machine will be my home for the next 4 years.
I check back in later for an update or so of my progress.
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks,
I think I may add some ram next month as my first offcial tweek to this otherwise stock machine
Oh and about the noise?
This machine is pretty darn quiet, they must have done some major tweeking inside, as it is pretty quiet compared to many other machines IVe heard, about as loud as the old CRT iMacs.
Overall, I think this unit is a very worthwhile value at the price.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My Dualy goes HHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM -- a tad loud but I don't want to void the warranty. The 80GB Seagate is pretty darn clacky too when it's being accessed.

What's "pretty darn quiet" in your rating of the noise level? Just curious.

Congrats on the Pow' Mac.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tomac
Did you not try the quiet kit from Apple
it may be worth the 30 $$
I would say this is as quiet as the saawtooth g4 400 I used a couple years ago for a while.
about as much noise or less than many machines.
It is quieter than my friends P4 and a P3 machine I have used.
so try the Apple upgrade kit
I gotta go have supper now
Til later

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh and yah, the hard drive is a lttle noisy, as it searches, but not unreasonable.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've got the "latest greatest" FW800 Dual 1.25GHz model -- it's "supposedly" got the latest power supply and fans. If you're 10 metres away from your Power Mac, can you hear it. I can.

My brother's first thoughts on this Power Mac when he saw it was, "That's so noisy!" All PCs he's used have been WAY quieter.

Can you describe the sound of the machine a bit further -- what IT sounds like? MUCH appreciated. I might yet again, get ANOTHER Apple product checked out by Apple. This is COMPLETELY justified because THEY promised THIS about the FW800s:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We worked really hard and went over the systems to find every possible way to make the system quieter," said Tom Boger, Director, Power Mac Product Marketing. "I'm happy to tell you that we've done that -- when the systems get out in the marketplace, I'm sure our customers are going to be delighted at how quiet these systems are."

"They are significantly quieter -- these will answer the critics," added Joswiak. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time to turn up the heat? I'm beginning to think yes.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tomac
maybe you should be calling Apple if its that loud,
mine is really not what I would call loud and I am sensitive to noise
Maybe its your fan
i dunno, maybe its time for Apple care

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.