Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today I passed my course, went straight to the registry (Calling TD on the way) and got my licence upgraded and my plates and registration, then I went and picked up my bike haha.

Brought it home on Deerfoot, was a ton of fun, wasnt home 15 mins and I had to go out for another ride lol.

I found a better deal on Insurance too, so I am going to cancel my TD next week (Right now, I only have very baasic insurance, cost me $180 for a year). TD wanted $780 for a year for full coverage, BUT they wanted me to have a $500 alarm installed to get it. I found another company that will do it for $585 for a year, no alarm required.

"I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it....."

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not yet taken any pics of it, been too busy riding it lol (Picked it up last night around 8ish, have already put 160km on it lol).

Question for the riders out there though, given I'm a newbie. Should I be following the manual for shifting, because it seems way off. It is very jerky when I do it their way. Also, I went out to High River today, speed limit is mainly 110 out of the city, is it fairly normal to be sitting at 6k for the whole trip on a 500cc? Red line is 11k-13k. Just want to make sure it's OK before I freak out about it haha.
It slows down pretty quick in all gears as soon as I let off the throttle though, nice feature!

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Question for the riders out there though, given I'm a newbie. Should I be following the manual for shifting, because it seems way off. It is very jerky when I do it their way. Also, I went out to High River today, speed limit is mainly 110 out of the city, is it fairly normal to be sitting at 6k for the whole trip on a 500cc? Red line is 11k-13k. Just want to make sure it's OK before I freak out about it haha.
I don't know much about bikes but usually manuals may give you a shifting speed that's optimized for fuel economy... you'll want to shift higher for a smoother ride and faster acceleration. Motorcycle engines are designed to be revved high, you're way below your redline so you're fine.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
As long as you don't redline, shift when it feels comfortable to do so.
What he said. You will soon learn the feel of your bike and when to shift without looking at the RPM. I never look at my rpm's when I shift, I can tell by the sound of the bike and vibration. Dont be afraid to go into the higher rpms when you need to move a bit quicker ie passing a car. As they say in most motorcycle forums "It don't exist without pics!" So lets see your first child!

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
I'd suspect the powerband is in the 3500-10k range. As mentioned shift when it feels right.
I assume this bike is already broken in.

If you turn the throttle and nothing happens you are in too low a gear.

What gear were you in at 6k and 110??

I recall some old 3 speed Triumphs would hit 100 MPH in 2nd. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What gear were you in at 6k and 110??
I was in 6th, the top gear.

I will take some pics in the next few days when the clouds arn't darkening the sky hehe, want it to look its best!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts