Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this has been posted here, but here it goes..I have been a dedicated mac user for 8 years and proud of it...and if the day came apple was no more...I would stop using computers all together if microsoft and intel were the last crap standing...cheers Mark

here is the read:

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/11/24.14.shtml

·
Premium Member
30,990 Posts
Well just figure out the track record ( the first time anyone's made THREE times on the list )

Don't trust them with your retirement money.

Put on ignore. :cool:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think that there is enough die hards out there that would keep apple alive. Even if worst case senerio happens and apple hardware dies, it is rumored that a x86 version of OS X is out there.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I sort of agree... I really don't care what is "inside" motorola, ibm, intel.... who cares.

Apple isn't about the processor (not that the G4's and G5's aren't great pieces of hardware)...

Apple is about leading edge industrial design, the OS and now the Apps. So can Apple compete if it has to go with Intel hardware... Absolutely!

Can Apple compete as a software only company? Lets see... 25 million Apple users worldwide (assuming 5% of the overall computer market)... say 50% buy at least one piece of Apple software (OS, app, utility, upgrade, etc...) per year at say $125 average cost (final cut pro is clearly more... some are less)... lets do the math...

12.5 million x $125.00 = $1.5 Billion

Yup... that's a nice healthy software company. Since this is Software most of that revenue is MARGIN... I think Apple will be around for a LONG time to come.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I realize that people are switching to Apple everyday, but Apple needs to find some other way of pushing their product. I just up and switched from a PC to Apple about two months ago and I couldn't be happier. The transition was smooth and I found the software (OS X) to be completely intuitive. Additionally, it should be noted that I'm not just an email, word-processing, web-surfing user, I run heavy CAD and 3D animation software for architecture. Why did I switch: OSX is super stable (I haven't had a system crash yet - not possible with Windows), the hardware is stunningly designed, and the whole system together works - reliably...no BS. Apple needs to start pushing their software, more specifically, OSX (where do you think Microsoft's windows came from...?). A computer is useless without a good operating system and OS X is leaps and bounds ahead of windows (having been a windows/ms dos user for 15 years, I can say that). Only a small percent of computer buyers are looking for sexy-looking hardware, the rest want value-based performance. Also, Apples aren't really more powerful than PCs (e.g. a dual Xeon will give a dual G5 a real run for its money.) so, Apple needs to concentrate on their software and product design. What people really need to realize is that Apples are a pleasure to use...period....and just as functional as a PC except better in virtually every way. How do we get more users to switch to this wonderful, sophisticated OS....perhaps (with a hint of trepidation) Apple needs to start issuing hardware cloning licenses, which may help to flood the market a bit more. Apple is an amazing company and I honestly can't believe that only 5% of the computer-user population use Apples....I'm gobsmacked! Whatever Apple did, it worked on me!

We need more Apple stores...they're a important part of the equation. Apple should be building stores in Canada (Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto - to start) and Europe - these are both HUGE markets...get the product out there...get people using it. I think the Apple stores are beautifully designed for this.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Every few years it's the same thing Apple will be dead or be bought out by somebody, a few years ago it was Sony that was supposed to buy Apple before that IBM who's next Dell? Microsoft? I don't think so, Apple will survive because they make great software and not because of what there hardware looks like or if it can't compete in speed with a Wintel Box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts