Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

It is obvious that Apple has missed the "Back to School" sales of any Powerbook upgrades. Now I read that Apple has plans for their own Bluetooth enabled mouse and keyboard?

My question is, when does Apple think they are going to ship this out? With the new G5 3Ghz machines next year? The G5s come with the white keyboard and white optical mouse from the pictures shown at Macaddict.

Maybe Apple will make this a BTO in the future?

I have to shake my head with all this messed up marketing coming from Apple.
First they miss the back to school sales, then they ship the old keyboards and mice with the new G5s. Mac OS 10.2.7 will be the shortest version of Jaguar to live as Panther will be out soon. How much EXTRA will all this stuff cost after you have bought a G5? What will you do if Apple comes out with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse in a months time? Will you sell the one that came with your G5? It just seems that Apple's timing is all out of wack this year for getting products and upgrades out the door on time. Imagine buying an iMac and you only get the bottom without the screen because Apple wanted to get them out the door in a hurry? You then might get the screen months later, and oh yeah the keyboard and mouse will follow :D I know bad example, but that's what it feels like right now with Apple.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
How do you know what style of keyboard is shipping with the PowerMacs? I've yet to see a keyboard attached to a PowerMac. I think the Bluetooth keyboard and mice are something in the future but not just yet..

Marketing.. every hear of Think Different? The Switcher campaign? I would tell you that yes, they have screwed up royally in terms of PB sales, but they will make it up later.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think Apple missed much of any "Back to School" sales since not many students will be getting the 15" or 17" PowerBooks.

There have been various school specials since June. I would say that a free printer and $300 off an iPod is a great deal for students.

As for the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, it's better that they roll out G5 Power Macs as soon as possible regardless if the keyboard and mouse are ready. Early adopters always pay a premium and this time, if you want a G5 now, you get stuck with the old keyboard and mouse.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Patience, Grasshopper! :->

The PowerBooks are in the pipeline, according to all indications, the only issue is the exact psychological moment to pull the curtain aside. Apple likes to intro things on Tuesdays, for some reason, so my guess is Tuesday, Aug 26. Or not. Only the Great Steve knows for sure.

Bluetooth peripherals are, in the final analysis, just fluff-the G5s will work quite adequately with USB units until Apple wants to produce the Bluetooth stuff.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
719 Posts
iBook = students, consumers

PowerBook = road warriors with expense accounts, pro users

Apple has not messed up any marketing for back to school. You are just a "conditioned" consumer. Oh, its August, there must be "back to school savings". Just like in December, you will wait until they put a shiney new tag that says "X-Mas sale". Personally, I wait until boxing day and the retailers are desprite to get rid of inventory. But that's just me.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Britnell,

No, I'm not a conditioned consumer, I am going by pure observation from the internet and the other 90% of students who post at Macaddict, AppleInsider etc.. forums looking to buy a 15" Powerbook.

Not sure what type of students we have here in Canada, but a lot of College and University students are the ones looking to buy the 15" over the iBooks for LONG term ability and use for the latest technology. The argument that is out there is, why pay close to $2000.00 for an iBook and be obsolete in 6-12 months with a G3 processor when you could get an up to date 15" Powerbook that will last you 4 years during College or University. Plus these students don't want a 12" screen, they want the 15" screen. These students also won't be at home, but already in school when Apple decides to ship these 15" Powerbooks. I also can't help noticing when I go to stores like FirstAvenue in Kitchener Apple Retail store and watch students and other customers asking when the 15" Powerbooks are arriving that they need it now for their school. I can just imagine the need for the 15" across the US for the same students.

We don't see students on this board too often, maybe that is why we don't see the same sort of out cry like I do from the other Apple forums on the internet. You see and read comments like "When are the 15" coming out? Should I hold on? Should I just get a 12" iBook for now and buy a 15" later as I need something for school now? Those are just some of the comments you can read, and there are many more out there.

Yeah I guess everyone's right about the bluetooth technology with Apple. Oh well, one step at a time with one product at a time release this year

1 - 6 of 6 Posts