Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1000th post on the ehMac community!

I feel special. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
You forgot to factor in the exchange rate..... Perhaps it should be the G5 club in any case. As for Dr. G., this is his big week to order the 17" powerbook. Now THAT will be worth celebrating.... :cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Lars, sorry that I did not notice sooner, or we would have thrown you a gala celebration as we did for Peter's 1000th post.

My only fear is that they will soup up the 17"AlPB and it will be more than $5783, which is all that is sitting in the research account. I can't see them putting that much into the PB when the PowerMacs seem to be the focus of everyone's attention. We shall see.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Dr. G. even if Steve Jobs is body snatched and has his brain sucked out by Michael Dell-droid, there is no way that the existing 17' powerbook - the one that you can buy today with immediate availability - will become more expensive or not available. If the world turns upside down and the laws of physics are reversed and Apple releases a 17" G5/PowerPC 970 tomorrow, then it will not supplant the current model, but will simply add a high end model. It's only been on the market for 3 months.... And a 970 replacement just ain't gonna happen in the near future.

BTW, its not just physics that dictates a 970 powerbook tomorrow is unlikely. It's business. This is a new chip and running it in a big desktop allows all of the rough edges to be tolerated (overspec the power supply, cables, etc). To roll it out into the narrow confines of a powerbook is just silly. The 17" has no room for a sheet of paper inside. All of the interconnects are made of flat ribbon cable. I doubt a fruit fly could make a nest in there.

Apple needs 970s for graphics workstations to power their sales of Shake, FCP, etc. The X-serves would also be a great place to slot in the 970 (maybe they were built with the 970 in mind, hence the less than dramatic systems architecture). Powerbooks will have to wait.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
There should be a special award for the folks that make it to the 1000 post mark.. hey Mister Mayor.. what do you think of that? What about the pin for the order of ehMac? or a badge?

Cheers,

RtC

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
jwoodget, I trust that you are correct in your assumptions. The quote that I have is for the 17"AlPB with an extra 512RAM chip for $4880 after tax. I was also going to order an Epson 3200 scanner, a few boxes of DVD-R discs, and whatever cables I need to attach this PB to a TV or monitor. So long as SJ doesn't come out and say "Oh, and one more thing, the PB will be an extra $700 since it shall contain the holograph of yours truly!" then I am safe. We shall see.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Sorry, Lars, for redirecting this thread, since it was started in celebration of your #1000. I agree with RtC that there should be some sort of recognition for #1000. I think more people would register and keep coming back if there were some designation for that first 1000 posts. After that, each person is on their own. But #1000 is a mile-stone. Kudos to you.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
...and a cute, shiny TiBook so I can love it, and hold it, and hug it, and squeeze it and call it "George."

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Only 110 more posts to go and then I will be a Super-Citizen too!!! Mwa-ha-ha-haaaaaa!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Congrats on reaching the Super Citizen level!

jwoodget - A "get a life" medal? Maybe for the 5000 post level... then you know you're part of this community for a long period of time and you post a lot... And I see that you just reached a 1000 posts or so. Considering you lost about 500 posts when your original account, corrupted, welcome to your rightful place as a Super Citizen ;)

[ June 23, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Happy 1000th post!

Here's to many more! ^_^

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.