Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Lars, sorry that I did not notice sooner, or we would have thrown you a gala celebration as we did for Peter's 1000th post.

My only fear is that they will soup up the 17"AlPB and it will be more than $5783, which is all that is sitting in the research account. I can't see them putting that much into the PB when the PowerMacs seem to be the focus of everyone's attention. We shall see.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,154 Posts
Dr. G. even if Steve Jobs is body snatched and has his brain sucked out by Michael Dell-droid, there is no way that the existing 17' powerbook - the one that you can buy today with immediate availability - will become more expensive or not available. If the world turns upside down and the laws of physics are reversed and Apple releases a 17" G5/PowerPC 970 tomorrow, then it will not supplant the current model, but will simply add a high end model. It's only been on the market for 3 months.... And a 970 replacement just ain't gonna happen in the near future.

BTW, its not just physics that dictates a 970 powerbook tomorrow is unlikely. It's business. This is a new chip and running it in a big desktop allows all of the rough edges to be tolerated (overspec the power supply, cables, etc). To roll it out into the narrow confines of a powerbook is just silly. The 17" has no room for a sheet of paper inside. All of the interconnects are made of flat ribbon cable. I doubt a fruit fly could make a nest in there.

Apple needs 970s for graphics workstations to power their sales of Shake, FCP, etc. The X-serves would also be a great place to slot in the 970 (maybe they were built with the 970 in mind, hence the less than dramatic systems architecture). Powerbooks will have to wait.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
jwoodget, I trust that you are correct in your assumptions. The quote that I have is for the 17"AlPB with an extra 512RAM chip for $4880 after tax. I was also going to order an Epson 3200 scanner, a few boxes of DVD-R discs, and whatever cables I need to attach this PB to a TV or monitor. So long as SJ doesn't come out and say "Oh, and one more thing, the PB will be an extra $700 since it shall contain the holograph of yours truly!" then I am safe. We shall see.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Sorry, Lars, for redirecting this thread, since it was started in celebration of your #1000. I agree with RtC that there should be some sort of recognition for #1000. I think more people would register and keep coming back if there were some designation for that first 1000 posts. After that, each person is on their own. But #1000 is a mile-stone. Kudos to you.

·
Premium Member
7,057 Posts
Congrats on reaching the Super Citizen level!

jwoodget - A "get a life" medal? Maybe for the 5000 post level... then you know you're part of this community for a long period of time and you post a lot... And I see that you just reached a 1000 posts or so. Considering you lost about 500 posts when your original account, corrupted, welcome to your rightful place as a Super Citizen ;)

[ June 23, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.