Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
1,242 Posts
In Alberta they use sand... rather than melting ice and causing harm to the environment, throw sand on the ice and create some traction. Sure cars look dirty but rather sand than salt get into the environment. Wonder why the rest of the country hasn't followed suit...
I wish my college did this! There is so much salt on the walkways i damn near trip on the stuff. From far away the newly paved black parking lot looks like its covered in snow from all the SALT on it.

· Premium Member
716 Posts
In Alberta they use sand... rather than melting ice and causing harm to the environment, throw sand on the ice and create some traction. Sure cars look dirty but rather sand than salt get into the environment. Wonder why the rest of the country hasn't followed suit...
In Calgary, they use ROCKS instead of sand. Don't believe me? Ask the windshield of every car I've owned here...

I doubt it was done for environmental reasons - more likely that salt doesn't do much (other than freeze) at the temperatures that we quite often get here.

· Registered
4,277 Posts
I rented a Versa on a business trip to Edmonton... wow it's gotta be my favourite small car at the moment! I chose the sedan over the hatchback because I am more a sedan kind of person even though I previously wrote off the sedan as the ugliest thing ever since the Echo sedan. Wow it's grown on me.

The biggest traits to it is the space, my goodness is there's room in there. I'm 6' tall and even when I adjust the driver seats for my comfort, I still have more than enough head and leg room when I sit behind the driver seat. The comfort level definitely approached that of a much bigger car and just everything from the quality of the dashboard material to the simple flat centre console design much like you'd find on the VW that I oh so like. It's definitely got a very upscale feeling to it.

Driving the car is very comfortable and the car handled Edmonton's bumpy roads just fine although it was noticably susceptible to cross winds because of its shape. The 1.8L engine although not as fuel efficient as the Yaris was extremely peppy and I was able to achieve 6.4L/100km with a mix of highway and city driving. $12.50 for 175km of driving is certainly welcome! And the bigger engine means more power and even though it was just an automatic, there was more than sufficient acceleration for the city as well as getting out of tight spots on the highway.

I can't wait to try out this car on a standard transmission! Overall a great car and I think it may have won my heart over the similarly priced Corolla though I'd have to test drive the new Corolla to find out.

· Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I have had my cars sent to Krown on the recommendation of my mechanic. He owns a Hyundai Pony, yes, a PONY, that is still fairly free of rust. And those cars, as you wil lrecall, rusted on the boat as they came over from Korea! That was enough proof for me. It is worth rustproofing because in The Hammer, they do not bother to plow the roads if they can get away with putting a six inch layer of salt over everything. I guess they want to save the wear and tear on the plow blades. (I won't get into the fact that they still have not shoveled the street, which is an emergency snow route. They left it all up to Mother Nature)..

It was also instructive to see that the dealership that I bought my car from sends the cars to Krown as well, so you can save yourself a wad of money by taking it there yourself. They charge perhaps $300 to have their lot lizard drive the car around the corner, when you can get it done for $100 or so directly.

And make sure you mention that someone you know recommended Krown because you may be able to get 10% off, and that will kick in every year, because the price is locked for as long as you own the car.

· tilting at windmills
1,097 Posts
I rented a Versa on a business trip to Edmonton... wow it's gotta be my favourite small car at the moment! I chose the sedan over the hatchback because I am more a sedan kind of person even though I previously wrote off the sedan as the ugliest thing ever since the Echo sedan. Wow it's grown on me. The biggest traits to it is the space, my goodness is there's room in there. I'm 6' tall and even when I adjust the driver seats for my comfort, I still have more than enough head and leg room when I sit behind the driver seat. The comfort level definitely approached that of a much bigger car and just everything from the quality of the dashboard material to the simple flat centre console design much like you'd find on the VW that I oh so like. It's definitely got a very upscale feeling to it. Driving the car is very comfortable and the car handled Edmonton's bumpy roads just fine although it was noticably susceptible to cross winds because of its shape. The 1.8L engine although not as fuel efficient as the Yaris was extremely peppy and I was able to achieve 6.4L/100km with a mix of highway and city driving. $12.50 for 175km of driving is certainly welcome! And the bigger engine means more power and even though it was just an automatic, there was more than sufficient acceleration for the city as well as getting out of tight spots on the highway. I can't wait to try out this car on a standard transmission! Overall a great car and I think it may have won my heart over the similarly priced Corolla though I'd have to test drive the new Corolla to find out.
Ouch Dona, please use paragraphs my man! :)

Cheers

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.