Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OS9 for OSX :D

I have been playing around in OSX and I have decided to give it a shot as my main OS.

I was wondering what is the best way to install OSX. Do I need to partition my hard drive? What is a swap file? Normally in 9 I have 3 partitions, system/apps/personal. I am a total newbie when it comes to OSX so any tips would be appreciated.

I am running a G4/867/1.1GB RAM/60MB main drive/40BG slave drive. Currently I have OS 10.1.5 on my second drive but I plan to do a clean install on my main drive and move OS9 to the second drive.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I usually recommend 3, one for X, one for 9, and one for whatever you want. Or you can have X and 9 on the same drive, it works fine. It is nice to have a second OS to boot from if need be though.

If you are planning on moving your OS 9 set up to the 40 GB, then you could have a similar setup to your existing 9 setup for X on the 60.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I have a 60 Gig drive which I've partioned into 3...er....partitions.

One partition is solely Mac OS X and is used mainly by moi since my better half and kids mainly use Classic apps. Plus they prefer the Classic layout.

Anywho. I would suggest that you devote one partition to OSX and the other OS 9.

My two cents.. :D

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
motoyen,

You may have seen my post in the Emergency Room, from whence this warning comes: BACKUP! My buddy is still in the dumps over his mistaken "Format & Install" choice.... :(

M.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's strange but when I went to install OSX/9, the install disk would only let me install X first, and when I went to install 9 on a separate partition, it refused, and would only go into the X partition. In the end I did away with partitions altogether. This was with 10.2.2 -- which I've since updated to 10.2.3. Everything works fine in one partition, even the swap file.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts