Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down too, and got a 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro yesterday. It's a nice machine for sure. I'm moving all of my stuff over from the 15 inch Powerbook right now, and then it'll be put to work as a DVR and media / file server once it gets serviced by Apple to address the lower memory slot problem and the battery recall.

The MBP is a nice upgrade. The display is much better (the colour fidelity is much better than on the Powerbook and I don't it's due to the fluroescent tube accumulating lots of hours either) , it has more disk space, more memory and runs much faster. I don't want to knock the Powerbook, which is no slouch, but this is still a substantial upgrade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I upgraded from a Macbook 13' to a Macbook Pro 15' 2.4 Ghz last week and I find it an enormous difference in speed! I do not have all the memory in the MBP yet next week I'll have 4 Gb. I am very impressed with my MBP!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which 15" Powerbook?

I just upgraded from a 12" Powerbook (Rev. B) and boy, the 6 fold speed increase[1] is well worth it.

1 - According to Geekbench.
I'm kind of curious about the hard numbers so I'll probably download one or two performance testing programs and see how my systems stack up. The Powerbook I upgraded from was a 1.67 GHz one. I think it may have been the second to last version because it didn't have the higher resolution screen that the last Powerbooks had briefly from late 2005 before the MacBook Pros came out in 2006. I'm not sure if throwing a performance test at it would be really fair since it's down a third of its memory on account of the lower RAM slot cutting out. Going from 1.5 GB down to 1 GB has hit it's performance noticeably - especially since paging in and out of the hard drive isn't too fast.

What the MacBook Pro is like is having a portable G5 tower. Performance-wise, it feels like carrying around a 2.0 or 2.3 GHz G5 machine in your backpack. The screen is far better than the one in the Powerbook too. I think it was worth upgrading now; the LED backlighting and the Santa Rosa chip set was what evolved the MacBook Pros far enough to make it worthwhile for me. The stock configuration 2.2 GHz machine is a very nice laptop for the money and it fit my needs/wants and budget just perfectly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts