Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm looking around for a new laptop drive and just recalled the the hybrid drives that had made their splash a few yrs back: the SSD / HDD mix was nice on paper for sure.

But As I look around, it seems they've all but vanished from the market. Did something happen? I took a look @ the WD Black 2. As much as it looked like the best one I've seen on paper, 120 SSD + 1G HDD, it's true (as reviews have mentioned) that it's grossly overpriced. Somewhere around $340. Added to that, the SSD benchmarks aren't the greatest.

This is for an aging lap (though used hourly/daily) and i'm not sure I want to sink near $400 into it. Which is also why i've shied away from SSDs. But I do need the room. I'm looking at picking up a >= 750G.

Anyone here a hybrid drive owner?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I spent about $100 on a Toshiba 8GB / 1TB drive in early January. Not sure the mere 8 GB makes much difference, but it seems to have reduced beach balling a bit. However, the larger drive also allowed me to move all the files I previously stored on my NAS to the HDD, reducing load times considerably.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't need the optical drive maybe consider a small SSD plus a regular drive in an OptiBay.
That has always crossed my mind, and as much as I think about it - another 1/2 of me i just too lazy to take it all apart and grab 3 sep units (2 HDs and the sled).

YES, I'm being a diva right now. ;)

But the bigger picture is this now:

How are ppl handling the new rMBPs ? Don't they all use that new PCIe flash storage? Either way, I hate the idea of having an external w/ me all the time JUST for data, and the new laps are essentially $$ to have anything >=512Gs for capacity.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Be careful you don't overspend on a drive(s) that exceeds your "aging lap" Serial ATA speed. It may not have the matching Serial ATA (6 Gb/s) speed.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be careful you don't overspend on a drive(s) that exceeds your "aging lap" Serial ATA speed. It may not have the matching Serial ATA (6 Gb/s) speed.
Oh. been all over that one. There was a time I was looking @ a SSD for my MacBook. SATAI. This MBP i have? SATA2. :(

Thx!

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Oh. been all over that one. There was a time I was looking @ a SSD for my MacBook. SATAI. This MBP i have? SATA2. :(

Thx!

:lmao: ;) :rolleyes:

Been there, done that with my late 2007 15" MBPro, got an exceptional chance to buy an OCZ 250GB SATA2 (3gbps) SSD at a bargain price and then discovered that the SATA bus was Int. HD Interface: Serial ATA (1.5 Gb/s) which I had forgotten about.

Anyway, it was still faster and better than the original 120 GB (5400 RPM) HDD!! :D

If I was to swap it out for a larger capacity drive, I'd drop in a WD Black that worked well with another Mac. Fast and cool running and lots of capacity - and quite affordable as well!!

PS: The WD Black were the SATA 2 (3gbps) compatible HDDs.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
As for those of us with Retinas who you were wondering about - I got a refurbed 2012 with a 768GB drive in it. It's not big enough for my entire data collection, so I have a USB 3 Hitachi Touro for the photos. It's a terrific little drive and no problem to carry around.

I do most of my editing etc. during most of the year on my 2008 Mac Pro; and I've just upgraded that with a 500GB SSD which will have the OS, all my apps and most of my data on it - with the photos on a regular 1GB internal. Although I've not had time to finish setting it up, it's clear that the speed bump is considerable and definitely worthwhile. However, this is my primary work machine and I hope to keep it going for another few years yet, so spending a little on it is worth it to me.

How long are you planning on keeping this laptop? Is it your primary machine or not? And remember - any SSD you put in can always be taken out again later and put in an external enclosure, or in another machine if you have something that can accommodate it. (This of course is getting progressively more difficult as Apple seems to be steadily reducing any options for after-market modifications. :( )

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, that's it Paddy. I need space more than anything. But my other side would not mind some speed. But i'm using a 2009 MacBook Pro and want to spend as little as possible on it as I'd have to justify keeping it, and my back would not allow it! ;)

I'm setting my sights on maybe going 13" Air loaded up. I'm running 1920 across right now, and don't think I can do anything below 1440. BUT i could be tempted to go 13 MBP, the one right before the rMBP. BUT that resolution of 1280... ARGH.... I also feel that I need more than 8G of ram (Creative Cloud and basic coding), but I'm not sure i want to lay out $2k+ for a lap seeing that I have to order all upfront. Which is also why I'm trying to not spend to much on this lap.... I just hate carrying this 17". Seriously. But it's still working sorta well. So can't be all that mad....

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
I don't think you'd find an Air ideal for CC apps - mostly because of the screen. Fully loaded with a 1.7GHz processor, 512GB drive, 8GB of RAM and you're looking at $1849 before tax.

It weighs just half a pound less than the top of the line 13" i5 Retina MBP, which is also $1849 with the same amount of RAM and same SSD, similar Geekbench scores to the Air and a MUCH better screen. And you can upgrade the RAM to 16GB with the MBP for another $200, which you cannot do with the Air.

There is a lovely 13" in the refurb store right now for a cool $400 off the full price:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display - Apple Store (Canada)

The i7 is less than 5% faster than the i5; for most of us, the 1TB flash drive and the 16GB of RAM are the more useful upgrades.

Having owned a Retina since last summer, I'd never willingly go back to one of the older displays. Of course, this is making me want a better monitor for the Mac Pro too...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's some good advice there Pads. Sounds like i'll just need to just stash the cash slowly but surely. And the funny thing is that when the new 13 rMBP came out, I was rooting for it on a size level since it was ever so slightly heavier than the Air and better specs.

These new configs have me doing circles. But it's a tough call having come from the old Mac ways of being able to config things ourselves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts