Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since it's now the fashionable thing to make a parody of Apple's famous Switch ads; Apple itself has decided to release a pair of humourous parodies of itself, in time for the holidays. These parodies feature Will Ferrell of SNL fame, but despite that <wink, wink> they are still fairly funny...

Have a peek and let us know what you think of them! :D

Apple's Holiday Fun Parody Switch Ads

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alesh:
I don't think these are funny at all. Did Santa Clause say the word a$$?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Santa got his ass handed to him!

I watched both of them and giggled to myself several times. It's nice to see a company that doesn't take itself seriously.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Somewhat cute maybe, but what point do they get across to the PC user? If Subaru used ads like these, would they entice you to go to the dealer and take a test drive? ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know what the negative buzz... seems to me it was a commercial that was aimed more towards existing customers more than anything, our very own little Holiday treat from Apple.

I giggled...

"... and 20 Doobie Brothers."

... then I rolling on the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> seems to me it was a commercial that was aimed more towards existing customers more than anything, our very own little Holiday treat from Apple. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are these "ads" only viewable on the web or are they to be used in commercials? If they are for amusement only, then they're good. If they're going to be run commercially as ads, then my previous comment stands. Does anybody know the answer to this?

·
Registered
363 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Scharman:
what point do they get across to the PC user? If Subaru used ads like these, would they entice you to go to the dealer and take a test drive?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

is an ad that simply brings attention to a company or product not a good ad? i'd wager that just aboot every peecee user on the planet has seen the switch comercials, and i haven't seen new points in them lately. perhaps apple is just trying to get more people interested. there's more to marketing than "my stuff is better. buy my stuff."

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> is an ad that simply brings attention to a company or product not a good ad? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so. Everybody knows and recognizes the logos of a large number of companies. Seeing their names doesn't entice you to buy their product over someone else's. Campbell Soup tries to stimulate your senses and make you want to try the product they're promoting, not just remind you that they make soups. They need to give you a DESIRE to buy theirs instead of someone else's. To that effect, the clever "mimicking" imac commercials were effective.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Remember? I thought we were supposed to think different?

Well?

Are you?

Out of the box. Viral. Irreverent. Resonant. Evoking. All the stuff great ads are supposed to be.

That's why we use Macs. If we want to think like a purchasing agent for a valve company, we can use a PC. There's a lot out there.

I am constantly amazed at the power of advertising - as we discuss these the ads are working - and working extremely well. N one is discussing the Canon ads, or the Harry Rosen ads running in the Globe are we? Nor are we talking about all the great Ikea ads or other great viral campaigns

Toscani (Benetton) Ads is a master of this.

I personally would have gone way over the top. But I applaud a company - any company - that does something other than bright FLASHES with "New and Improved" in them and dealer lists.

The Brand works.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Remember? I thought we were supposed to think different? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes most of us DO "think different", but that doesn't mean that the rest of the "out of the box" thinkers (aka PC users to the PC bashers of the crowd) would really understand the statement. If you want them to start thinking different, you have to show them a benefit to changing their habits. I see lots of ceative, funny ads on TV and then think, "what are they actually trying to say to me?" I know the brand, I know what they sell, the ad was funny,.....so-o-o-o?? That's why I stated that the animated imac commercials were great...a humorous ad with product appeal. These Santa ads have none of that, they're just humorous, vague statements in my opinion. I can be a tough consumer, as can be the unconverted. PC users are not actively seeking to switch platforms without being convinced there's some kind of benefit, even if it's something as shallow as just owning the world's neatest looking computer. If Apple wants to spend their money on entertaining the Mac users, that's fine and they've obviously done a good job, according to the posted reactions. If they want to increase sales to new converts, the timing (Christmas) and Santa Claus theme are good, but they don't carry the message. We need more Mac users to spur product exposure and software developement, don't you agree?

·
Registered
363 Posts
you have to show them a benefit to changing their habits<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haven't they already? how many times do they need someone to go on tv and say "my peecee kept crashing. my mac doesn't"? like i said before, there's more to marketing than "my stuff is better. buy my stuff."

just look at the gap ads. they don't tell you anything aboot the product, it's just some people doing some random thing while wearing tshirts and khakis. are you trying to say that these are inneffective ads?

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> just look at the gap ads. they don't tell you anything aboot the product, it's just some people doing some random thing while wearing tshirts and khakis. are you trying to say that these are inneffective ads? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course they're effective. They're visually linking lifestyle and fashion to their brand name. "Be cool, be hip, have fun...with Gap clothes". Show someone being creative on an imac using OSx interface and you get "Ooooh, ahhhh, that's totally rad" Then say, "Think Different"

It's interesting how we differ on what is an effective ad and how defensive some get when anything "Apple" gets dissed. Don't take so personally or get insecure guys. It's only an opinion from a Gemini (who likes to play devil's advocate)

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "my peecee kept crashing. my mac doesn't"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never seen these ads, but for what it's worth, although I'm along time ardent Mac disciple, I've worked extensively (4 years) on both a Compaq desktop and IBM Thinkpad, each running Windows NT4 and never had a system crash or freeze. They were usually on 24 hrs a day as well. I wish I could say that about my Mac.....even though the trouble is worth it to me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Of course they're effective. They're visually linking lifestyle and fashion to their brand name. "Be cool, be hip, have fun...with Gap clothes".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you don't think the new will ferrell ads do the same thing? they're linking apple and the ipod with a very hip and funny celebrity.

p.s. the think different campaign is over, so they wouldn't say that at the end of a commercial.

p.p.s. i'm not being defensive. i'm just debating the issue just like you are. i think it's interesting that anyone who thinks apple has done something that isn't completely wrong is viewed as an obsessive zealot.

see how easy it was for me to make a gross and incorrect generalization?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I've worked extensively (4 years) on both a Compaq desktop and IBM Thinkpad, each running Windows NT4 and never had a system crash or freeze.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The switch ads aren't really aimed at NT4 or 2000 users, they are aimed at 95, 98 and ME users. YOu know, the "average" users.

If you are running NT4, that wold automatically lead me to believe you are a programmer or a network admin or something else along those lines. Not the type of users that are featured in most of the switch ads, or the market that the switch ads are aimed at.

You'd think that for your type of user they have an ad or two playing up the UNIXy underpinnings of the new OS.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Andreww, I can identify with that fellow.

Sniper. I didn't call anyone a zealot, just defensive. However, now that you brought it up, I have read (but not participated in) Mac bulletin board threads where when someone mentioned going back to Peecee, they were totally thrashed for being stupid and a traitor for going to "the dark side".....NOT the way represent the supposedly more intelligent Mac community, and I've seen it more than once. I personally can live with either platform (not Win95 or 98), although, as I said, I'm a long time Mac disciple and have convinced and helped many to learn the platform.
These Santa "Switch" ads were the first ones I'd seen, so I didn't put them in context with their predecessors. If one were familiar with the theme, they fit in. The main thrust seems to be to get people to visit the Switch web site to view the endorsements, which is effective. That of course means that they already have a computer and internet hookup, and they are obviously the target market for these ads, not the new buyer.
Well, I'm going to let this "effective ad" discussion die at my end. Thanks for the challenge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts