Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home tonight and I heard this weird, fast-paced beeping sound. I finally realized it was coming from my computer. I had left my beige G3 on and when I moved the mouse the cursor didn't move. Completely frozen and beeping away. WTF?

After a bit of pondering I realize there was only one option; emergency shut-down and reboot.

After my earlier experience this week with iMovie quiting instead of opening, I'm going to stop saying Macs don't crash, Macs don't freeze -- especially in OS X.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
What version are you running? My B&W running 10.2.6 is as stable as any OS I've used... My RedHat boxes prolly run longer between boots, but at least one of them is command line only, no GUI.

I suspect that you've got something else going on, perhaps some bad RAM or a flaky HD.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Was there something leaning or pressing a key on your keyboard? It sounds more like that happened than just a freeze. If your system "froze," wouldn't the beep only have happened once?

Dunno...but it just seems like something was pressing a key down for an extended period. My two cents...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dunno...but it just seems like something was pressing a key down for an extended period. My two cents...
I bet that "something" was my cat Charlie. I think you solved the mystery (it's 10.2.6 by the way Rob). Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.