Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ars Technica (news for the PC enthusiast) is expounding at length about the improvements needed to the OS X Finder. If I ever read the whole thing, I'll post a little summary here :D :D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
It seems that the entire article (yes its very long) is the authors point of view in how the Finder should be. Most of it I agree with, as each person is slightly different and that the Finder in OS X is weaker then what one would think it could very easily be. (Panther Upgrades maybe?) There are a few pages to do with spatial charateristics and how seeing things makes more sense and how it has to be layed out properly otherwise its horrible to use. The author also seems to want several ways of accessing your computer, eg. More of a Windows approach, the ability to customize your computer entirely (ala Kaliedoscope but made by Apple) and also a more Mac OS 9 approach that would most likely be set in the preferences.

I found the article informative (if not a little wordy in some parts, especially the spacial part, because words aren't very spatial) and it gets you thinking that it would be very nice if Apple would revamp the Finder so that it can be used in multiple ways. That and Live Search Folders is a very cool idea.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
John Gruber has written more thoughts on the finder in response to John Siracusa over at Ars.

I highly recommend checking out the previous articles that Gruber wrote (all linked to in the article above), as he is able to make some excellent points without sounding angry or overly critical.

--PB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts