Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Wow, I checked the WHOIS of the domain name, and sure enough, Apple owns it... odd stuff. It was registered August 20th, 2002 - more than a year ago. Wonder what Apple is up to.

·
Registered
359 Posts
They can use it to sell their operating systems.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Maybe after Apple gets finished naming Operating Systems after cats they'll start with mammals.

"Today Steve Jobs announce OS XI, codenamed 3-toed sloth".

I know, I know. Cats are mammals. Tell it to the marines.

·
Registered
153 Posts
maybe they had a great idea for a new commercial or something but it never really panned out? :confused: it definatley is strange.. maybe jobs was bored?

·
Registered
933 Posts
This domain has been associated with Apple for at least 2 or 3 years. It made the rumour mills buzz for a while and the inside info was that Apple was considering an ad campaign likening themselves to the mammals and the Wintel world to the dinosaurs with the obivous connotations re: evolution. The Darwin tie in was also central in this whole thing.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
The .org designation is for non-profits...no?

Maybe something for their opensource Darwin project.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Either that or just an alternate server that hosts an exact copy of Apple's website, or maybe its there for testing?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
or maybe for $20 a year apple gets free advertising by people speculating on why apple purchased that domain name?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts