Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just read about this. C. Fiorina unveiled 158 new products this morning >> The Big Bang II. The official tag line is:

HP Unveils Consumer Strategy to Deliver Rewarding Experiences through Simplified Technology

Simplyfied?? does it get any simpler than iLife?? think not. Anyhow, there seems to be some hope - on the HP side - that this DC3000 will be El Salvador when it comes to the consumer. This unit will apparently allow you to convert old VHS tapes to DVD - with an HP magic wand ;) . They have a big photographic strat as well which will include some new consumer digis and printers. You can read the press release here.

Who do you think they have in their crosshairs/sites??

H!

·
Registered
107 Posts
This one is particularly bad... Any Windows machine not patched, or firewalled, will be infected. And in turn, the infected machine will hammer WindowsUpdate (needed to download the patch) and spread itself further.

If you have friends with Windows machines, warn'em. If you notice The Internet is running slower than usual, now you know why...

Thank you Mr. Bill!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The top headline in the PC world today is the new worm that exploits a security hole in all versions of Windows...

Actually, W32.Blaster.Worm only affects Windows 2000 and XP, and despite how quickly it can spread it doesn't do anything to damage windows (ie, nothing that would require you to reinstall), and is very very easy to remove. Microsoft also released a patch to fix the vulnerability around a month ago, so anyone who runs WindowsUpdate more than once a year would be immune..

Spreads like a mofo though. I'd say it was on every one of our demo PCs at work within about 30 minutes of the first one being infected, with no help from us, it just spread across all 25 machines. And beforeanyone says anything, virtually all our demo machines have been put out in the last few days which is why we hadn't run WindowsUpdate yet.

--PB

·
Registered
107 Posts
...add Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2003 Server to that vulnerability list. First time running Windows 9X was a blessing. I've been getting calls from everyone I know on this one. I've put together a fix-it CD with simple instructions for people to ungoober their home machines. Good thing this one turned out to be relatively harmless...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts